7 saum build with proof pre-fit barrel action length.

MGFIdaho

I have read that the 7 saum benefits from a long or xm action over the short. What I can't seem to find is if it is still beneficial if I go with a proof pre-fit barrel. I want to build on a defiance anti action and will be primarily for backpack hunting elk and deer. Thanks.

Prefits are for your ease if you want to put the gun together yourself. If you want custom chamber or a specific throat your better off getting a blank and having your own gunsmith chamber. This is what I prefer even for my shoulder barrels that I switch out myself, I prefer the gunsmith I know the quality of his work to chamber and make custom throats for me.

As far a quality goes, those I know who got proof prefit liked them with no complaints. I have only go proof blank barrels and they have all been excellent

I would suspect the proof prefit uses the SAAMI spec for throating, which works decently in a short action if you use DBM and AICS binderless mags for a COAL of 2.95. If you want to use a longer heavier bullet (175-190 grains) you're most likely better off with having your gunsmith chamber a blank for you.

Strait jacket will sell you a prefit that will shoot amazing! They will throat it for a particular bullet just gotta send them a couple dummy rounds

I have found the 180's work great in LA and proof prefit. I have 2 prefit saums one is on LA and the other in a SA. The SA really can only shoot 168's efficiently cause of the COAL but the LA works perfect for the base of bearing surface right at the bottom of the case neck.

I'll get you some case measurements tomorrow to give you an idea

I'm building one off a tikka LA using a Carbon 6 prefit. They are going to throat it for my dummy round which ended up with a COAL of 3.024.

This is my first build, but I really like how custom C6 seemed to be. Sure do have quite a few options.

We have had many customers go with the proof 7 saum prefit along with defiance short action. No complaints at all - like Longtine mentioned 168's work really well, one well known customer of mine is running 175 ELDX with great success as well in the short action defiance.

If we can help with your build let me know, we have both of these items in stock here: https://jaoutdoors.com/product/ruckus-ultralight/

Like others have mentioned, the XM route truly is a bullet proof setup for the SAUM's, especially if you intend to run the longer bullets, keep in mind you need to be careful which defiance XM length action you order. There are two variations, one being strictly BDL style or the latter being AICS DBM fed.

with that being said the custom builder route is FUN --- with MANY high-quality builders available today you really cannot go wrong with that route either!

I have read that the 7 saum benefits from a long or xm action over the short. What I can't seem to find is if it is still beneficial if I go with a proof pre-fit barrel. I want to build on a defiance anti action and will be primarily for backpack hunting elk and deer. Thanks.
You could have your gunsmith do a fine cut on the throat of the pre-chambered barrel using a throat reamer if it is not the length you wish it to be. In that case having a 3+ inch COAL capability will make having the XM or a long action advantageous. I would think that the XM will be easier to get to feed than the long action, ie. take less or no special mods.

We have had many customers go with the proof 7 saum prefit along with defiance short action. No complaints at all - like Longtine mentioned 168's work really well, one well known customer of mine is running 175 ELDX with great success as well in the short action defiance.

If we can help with your build let me know, we have both of these items in stock here: https://jaoutdoors.com/product/ruckus-ultralight/

Like others have mentioned, the XM route truly is a bullet proof setup for the SAUM's, especially if you intend to run the longer bullets, keep in mind you need to be careful which defiance XM length action you order. There are two variations, one being strictly BDL style or the latter being AICS DBM fed.

with that being said the custom builder route is FUN --- with MANY high-quality builders available today you really cannot go wrong with that route either!
I got my new barrel today thanks for the extremely fast shipping

Recent Posts