7 Rem Mag or 28 Nosler

I do typically stick with what ever bullet manufacture I shoot I use that reloading book. When I shoot my Berger bullets I use my Berger reloading book. When I shoot my Hornady bullets I use my Hornady reloading book and so on. Different bullets will build pressure signs at a different rates. If you want to stick with the 140ish grain bullets for your 7 Mag I have had good luck w/ Berger 140 grain VLD hunting, Hornady 139 grain and 154 grain SST and Interbond, the Remington AccuBond and Ballistic Silvertips. I do think I did some Barns as well, but if I recall they built pressure fast.

I've got a tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and have gotten great accuracy out of IMR 4350 and RL 26 but haven't gotten it above 2920fps with max loads. Have not tried any faster burning powders like Rl 22 yet but is disapointed witht he speed for shooting an 145 grain barns LRX.
I all most forgot 1 important factor. My rifle barrel is 28" long. What that boils down to in a magnum casing is I will see roughly 40 - 50 FPS faster velocity per inch over a 24" barrel.

I've got a tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and have gotten great accuracy out of IMR 4350 and RL 26 but haven't gotten it above 2920fps with max loads. Have not tried any faster burning powders like Rl 22 yet but is disapointed witht he speed for shooting an 145 grain barns LRX.
IMR 7828, H 4831 SC, and, N560 are,.. THE,. Powders for, 7 mm Rem. Easily 3,000 FPS,.. Plus !
Got, the Hornady 154 grain, InterBonds ( Very accurate at, .010 to .012 OFF lands ) going 3,075 to 3,080 with, IMR 7828 in my Rem 700, 26" bbl, 7 Mag. Of course Retumbo is GOOD,. IF,.. you can Find IT !

Last edited:
This data if from Barnes website. Look at that Retumbo Powder work it's magic with a 171 grain bullet and only a 24" Barrel. Now add 4" to that barrel and you will see roughly a 175 - 200 FPS advantage. Then add more than 70 grains of Retumbo powder ( which I can't recommend) and you will see how I'm getting 3265 FPS from my 168 grain Berger's. I hope this info is helpful for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
I have both and like both. The reason I bought the 28. Was to throw the heavier bullets. At the faster speeds. I tend to like bullets traveling at 3200+fps. And I don't much care for the 30 caliber rifles. You can't go wrong with either. I will say brass is more expensive if you are reloading by quite a bit. So is factory loaded ammo.

I own both.. I say get the 7 Rem mag and shoot the 180 grain hybrid.. I shoot it with retumbo and 3050 is normal and very accurate.. Easier to get components for the 7 Rem and cheaper.. Doesn't mean I don't love the ole 28.. its a hammer but, overall I think the 7 rem mag would be best.. JMHO..

Well with things the way they are lately, which do you think you'd have a better chance finding shells for in the middle of nowhere!! You might then might regret worrying about 150fps as your throwing empty shell casings at your dinner..

Well with things the way they are lately, which do you think you'd have a better chance finding shells for in the middle of nowhere!! You might then might regret worrying about 150fps as your throwing empty shell casings at your dinner..
If people think if and when this component and ammo crap is over and won't happen again then if you plan on shooting in the future and don't reload better learn and stock up on components and the tools to reload.
I've seen it 3 times now and guarantee it will happen again.