7 Rem Mag or 28 Nosler

Havard

I posted this here for the simple fact of I'm looking for opinions from a reloader's point of view. I know that not many options are out there for factory ammo in the 28, so that gives an edge towards the 7RM for me. From what I read though, the 28 Nosler is a hot rod or can be! I like speed as well as accuracy and looking to invest in one of the two as a means to hunt Mule Deer and Elk. Any comments would be appreciated... thanks

Both will work, 300 RUM is more versatile on the bigger animals.

he didn't ask about the 300 RUM.

Either one would be a good choice. Components for the nosler are going to be more expensive than the 7rm. Barrel life can be about the same depending on how hard you run them. I run my 7RMs pretty hard. I start bleeding velocity around 1100 rds. I am pushing the 180s at 3150 out a 30" barrel. I have gotten them
up to 3225. Last barrel was 26" and I was at 3050.

I am a fan of the 28 Nosler but That being said, it has it's downfalls. I have had two 28s and the key is to not bounce around and develop more than one load. So many people try and develop 2-3 different bullets and end up burning the barrel off the gun before they get one load done. Find the bullet you want and develop that bullet. Don't bounce around. For me my first rifle was 180bergers, and my new one uses 195 Bergers.

I have a 7rm and have done load development for a 28 nosler owned by a buddy. I found the 28 nosler just as easy to tune a load for as the 7mm. I agree with a previous poster that you are better off developing a load for a single bullet or it is easy to burn a barrel out just tinkering around with different loads for multiple bullets. If part if the fun for you is tinkering and developing several different loads for different bullets, you will be better off with a 7mm. If you plan to pick a bullet, develop a load around it and then go kill animals, the 28 nosler all the way. The 28 nosler really shines with the 195s.

Whatever you can shoot the best. 28 nosler has 162 precision hunter box ammo that has shot well for the last 2 i built. Not expensive and my buddy shot his elk at 382y last week. Not far, but worked great. I shy away from 7mag on elk, but that is just me. It obviously works

Here is the results I have seen from a few 7mm rem mags I load for currently

26", Reloder 26, HBN coated 180 VLD, 3060 fps

26", H1000, 180 VLD, 2980 fps

26", H1000, 175 ELD-X, 2975 fps

24", H1000, 162 ELD-X, 3050 fps

26", H4831sc, 168 VLD, 3075 fps

All have SAAMI chambers/throats. With a longer throat in the 7 mags specifically for the 180 vld, you will get a good bit more performance, and can get somewhat close to a SAAMI spec 28 nosler, as they have a pretty short throat for the heavies. However, a properly throated 28 will significantly outrun a 7mm rem mag.

As stated, components will be cheaper for the 7rm, though the difference for a 1 time purchase of brass (if properly taken care of and not overloaded) will likely be a non-issue. Good brass is available for both now. Apples to apples, the 7 mag will have a longer barrel life obviously, around 400-600 rounds dependent on many things, though with usually 800+ rounds of barrel life if components and shooting is done carefully, the 28 nosler will serve a hunter very well.

Both are not that hard to load very accurately, there is well known data for both. Either is a good choice!!

Last edited: