7 Rem Mag or 28 Nosler

FOR ME the juice isn't worth the squeeze going from 7RM to 28N. A considerable amount more powder for a couple hundred fps just isn't worth it.

My buddy shoots a 28N and he spends as much time worrying about round count as he does hitting targets. If I had a nickel for every time we've been at the range and I've heard "that's enough for the 28, think I'll just shoot my .260 to save the barrel", I could buy him a replacement :D.

Im currently breaking in a new barrel on my 7RM getting 3050-3075fps with the Berger 175 Elite Hunters and Retumbo with zero indications of pressure.

7 Mag is really underrated.

Nosler brass is around $60 for 25.

Alternatives to get the same performance and save money:

7 Mashburn super-long neck 300 winchester magnum

7 Practical which has a 30* Shoulder angle, 300 Winchester brass

7/300 Winchester-simple neck down

7 STW I shoot Winchester brass.

nosler brass is difficult to find at times if you have not run across this issue. I have no patience in dealing with this issue at all. A phart in the economy and there will be no more brass made...bean counters control all. 80/20 plan is the way most companies are ran, 80% of the profit is in 20% of the items they sell.

Great 300 Winchester brass will be available for all of our life times!

In the 26" 7RM factory rifles I have shot, 160-168g loaded with top end loads of Retumbo are in the 3100 fps area with fed 215 primers. You spend a LOT of money to get another 200 fps. Rem factory rifles bedded, freefoated with 26" barrels shoot like many custom rifles. When the barrel is shot out, I install Brux, Krieger, Bartline 4 Groove barrels or a 6 Groove Hart or X caliber.

This is a hobby and you have to make it fun for you.

When you are working up loads, cool the outside of your barrel with 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol...works well on a wash rag. Put enough liquid on the barrel to where it is dripping off the bottom of the barrel, shoot three shot groups. Oil your chrome moly barrels prior to leaving the rifle range. Takes about 3 minutes to cool a barrel max for three shot groups. If you shoot 5 shot groups, those 4th and 5th shots really heat up a barrel. Expect shots to be touching.

I posted this here for the simple fact of I'm looking for opinions from a reloader's point of view. I know that not many options are out there for factory ammo in the 28, so that gives an edge towards the 7RM for me. From what I read though, the 28 Nosler is a hot rod or can be! I like speed as well as accuracy and looking to invest in one of the two as a means to hunt Mule Deer and Elk. Any comments would be appreciated... thanks
Well one key factor because I don't know your marksmanship skills is how far do you plan on shooting? That will determine my recommendation. From what I've learned over the years and my hunting experience it takes 1000 lbs of kinetic energy to break the shoulder of a elk. That being said a 7 MM Rem Mag and a 168 grain Berger Bullet, loaded to 3265 FPS will retain around 1,000 lbs of kinetic energy out to 1150 yards @ 1100 feet above sea level. The 28 Nosler will surpass this. So unless you plan on taking Elk past 1150 yards a 7 Rem Mag will suit your needs just fine. Now there is a verified video of a 12 year old boy and his dad shooting a elk just shy of 1400 yards ( 8000 feet above sea level ) with a 180 grain Berger bullet from a 7 Rem Mag. It was a clean and confirmed one shot kill. 28 Nosler not needed. The boy missed the elk completely with first shot. After he calmed down his follow up shot was right in the boiler. .

I hope this helps you with your decision so you can get out and star enjoying your hunting and shooting experience. There is way more readily available 7 MM Rem Mag ammo out there just screaming your name. LoL!!! Good luck sir.

Well one key factor because I don't know your marksmanship skills is how far do you plan on shooting? That will determine my recommendation. From what I've learned over the years and my hunting experience it takes 1000 lbs of kinetic energy to break the shoulder of a elk. That being said a 7 MM Rem Mag and a 168 grain Berger Bullet, loaded to 3265 FPS will retain around 1,000 lbs of kinetic energy out to 1150 yards @ 1100 feet above sea level. The 28 Nosler will surpass this. So unless you plan on taking Elk past 1150 yards a 7 Rem Mag will suit your needs just fine. Now there is a verified video of a 12 year old boy and his dad shooting a elk just shy of 1400 yards ( 8000 feet above sea level ) with a 180 grain Berger bullet from a 7 Rem Mag. It was a clean and confirmed one shot kill. 28 Nosler not needed. The boy missed the elk completely with first shot. After he calmed down his follow up shot was right in the boiler. .

What is your load to get 3265 from a 7 Rem with the 168 Berger?

I use Retumbo powder. Set my bullets just long enough so that they will still feed in my magazine. Federal 215 Match Primers. I use my JBM Ballistics solution, my Knights Armament, and G7 Range Finder. When I put all my info in and get confirmed hits I have to believe it because paper targets don't lie. The proof is in the hole. I get around 3075 - 3100 FPS with my 180 grain Berger's.

I use Retumbo powder. Set my bullets just long enough so that they will still feed in my magazine. Federal 215 Match Primers. I use my JBM Ballistics solution, my Knights Armament, and G7 Range Finder. When I put all my info in and get confirmed hits I have to believe it because paper targets don't lie. The proof is in the hole. I get around 3075 - 3100 FPS with my 180 grain Berger's.

Wow, that is cooking right along. Sounds like you have it dialed right in.

Wow, that is cooking right along. Sounds like you have it dialed In. Yeah it's pretty good. I was not expecting those velocities. I started my load development at 300 yards. That's just a distance I choose to help me tune my rifle with my powder charge. I then went out to 600 yards and tuned it again. Then I started getting drop data back at 500 yards, between 700-800 yards then 1200 yards out to 1400 yards with my G7 range finder. Then I had to go to my JBM and Knights Armament data because they go out past 1400 yards. I have a chronograph to get my FPS, but It was not matching my actual shooting data. So I choose to go with the 3 matching data's I collected over the one chronograph that did not match anything. Every time I punched in the 2950 FPS the Chronograph was giving me I would miss my target by Hugh margins. It's was good out to around the 500 yard range but after that it was just not safe to use the 2950 FPS the Chrono was giving me. When I kept punching the numbers in on my JBM and was seeming my FPS jump up to match my hits on target it mad me go back and look for pressure signs on my reloads. I couldn't see any. So I took it to a few other reloaders I trust to see if they could see something i missed. We all confirmed there was no pressure signs. They asked me why I was asking because they usually come to me. LoL. When I told them my results on what I was getting from a 7 Mag with 168 Grain Berger's they had to come see for them selves. One of my buddies had the all new at the time anyway Magneto Speed something or other. I just know it attached to the end of the barrel. I had a old Caldwell. I have shot this rifle out to around 2,000 yards so I know my numbers are correct. I have never loaded a 7 Mag with these kinds of results before. It has a 28" barrel with a muzzle break. It's a Remington 700 Sendero that I ordered through Remington from their fine gun room. I know they trued up the action and it has their 5R riffling. I remember them telling me I would be able to load it hotter than the normal 7 Mag because it will not show pressure signs as fast. I'm very careful on who I share my data with because of this. I don't want anyone getting hurt. I can tell you I'm way over max according to my my Berger, Hornady, Speer, and Hodgdone reloading books. I use Remington brass, Berger Bullets, Fedelar 215 Match Primers and Retumbo powder and I'm over 73 grains of powder. I will close with this because I don't want to be sued. I DO NOT recommend going over what your reloading book says. I'm sure you understand that.

I've got a tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and have gotten great accuracy out of IMR 4350 and RL 26 but haven't gotten it above 2920fps with max loads. Have not tried any faster burning powders like Rl 22 yet but is disapointed witht he speed for shooting an 145 grain barns LRX.

I've got a tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and have gotten great accuracy out of IMR 4350 and RL 26 but haven't gotten it above 2920fps with max loads. Have not tried any faster burning powders like Rl 22 yet but is disapointed witht he speed for shooting an 145 grain barns LRX.
Oh WoW yeah that is pretty low velocity. I think Reloader 26 is more for small caliber rifles that use the 308 platform and similar powder capacity. Like the 243 win, 260 Rem, 7-08, 308. 6.5 CM. I'm not saying it won't work in any other caliber I just think it's better suited for your non magnums.

I've got a tikka t3 in 7mm rem mag and have gotten great accuracy out of IMR 4350 and RL 26 but haven't gotten it above 2920fps with max loads. Have not tried any faster burning powders like Rl 22 yet but is disapointed witht he speed for shooting an 145 grain barns LRX. I don't know what reloading books you have but maybe this can help you. Reloader 19 with light bullets in a 7 Mag or even the Hornady Superformance powder should surpass the 3200 FPS range even at low charge. I think I used to use the superformance with 140 grain Berger and I was around 3400 FPS. Hope the pics help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg