7 PRC Build...your thoughts

Unless Tikka builds their 6.5PRCs on a long action, the 7PRC isnt going to fit in your gun. The length of the 7PRC is somewhere more or less in between the 6.5 and 300 PRC, and the 6.5 is already on the long side for a true short action. I would confirm that before you start ordering any more parts.
There is No such thing as a SHORT or LONG action T3 or T3X
they are ALL the same STD length regardless of cartridge length - bolt stroke is controlled by a bolt stop and cartridges are controlled by different mags with spacers ! They are NOT LONG magnum length to work with 300 WBee or the likes of ? But still do with 300 Win Mag .
The 7 PCR will work in a Tikka action and the 6.5 PRC works -fits WONDERFULLY in a Tikka action ! 👍😀

I was hoping for the gunwerks 7 LRM rebranded by hornady myself. IMO it's the ideal size and design but never went main stream.

I was in the exact same boat until I heard the recent Gunwerks podcast on the 7PRC; they talk about the challenges around the 7LRM and how they like the 7PRC.

Anymore, I feel like we're just in the world of "almost everything is 2800-3k fps, and between 140 and 212 gr, so ... meh. Go hunting. They all work."

I was in the exact same boat until I heard the recent Gunwerks podcast on the 7PRC; they talk about the challenges around the 7LRM and how they like the 7PRC.

Anymore, I feel like we're just in the world of "almost everything is 2800-3k fps, and between 140 and 212 gr, so ... meh. Go hunting. They all work."
I agree with you. Unless you're going to get out of the speed and or bullet weight range you referenced, the job will likely get done just the same, more or less. Makes a bigger difference where you're hunting.

Makes a bigger difference where you're hunting.
Even out west with long range opportunities, a 6.5 PRC vs .270 vs 7RM vs 7PRC vs 280AI vs 28 Nosler vs .308 vs 30-06 vs 300WM vs 300 PRC vs 30SM vs 30Nos vs 338....

Most of those have high-BC options. Some just need some throating work. And/or a different faster/lighter powder charge and deeper seating. But they'll all get the job done way, way, way, out there for 90% of the game in North America. Elk need a bit larger, but again, it doesn't even really matter "which larger" ... just pick something in the top 1/3 of options of recoil that you're happy with.

Thinking more on it, honestly, recoil becomes more a factor in choice that just about anything after that. 7 SAUM vs 7RM vs 7PRC? Meh. 300WSM vs 300WM vs 300 PRC? Meh.

The old-school 30-06 throated long with high-BC bullets and new powders really are very, very, very good, breathing new life into that cartridge. (And while 130gr TTSX monos @ 3400 is fun out of it, a higher-BC 175 LRX (0.508 G1) @ 2800 for Barnes Vor-TX is still going to be extremely effective out to 700 yards before the velocity drops below 1600fps and expansion starts entering: 4DOF)

Oh, and because I know I've got people out there waiting to jump on the 7mm wagon ... yes, I get it, but hold up ...
175 gr Nosler Partition's BC is ... 0.519 G1. Thus, a 175 LRX out of a 30-cal (0.508) is almost identical to a 7mm 175 Partition in terms of BC, and this is traditionally the "reason to go 7mm." (And while it's 2950 Partition vs 2800 LRX, it's at the cost of powder/recoil because that's comparing an '06 to a 7RM.) You're going to need to be shooting PAST 700 before the 7RM really comes into play if you're using Partitions.

169gr 7RM ELD-X from Hornday .631 (G1) @ 2940.
175gr 7PRC from Hornday? .689 (G1) @ 3000.

Even a .270 running monos (Barnes LRX 129gr 0.463(G1)) and modern powder is going to reach way out there. (O'Connor's 270 was 130gr @ ~3150 without the advancement of newer powders, high-BC bullets, or partition/mono technologies, and he was ready for 500 yard shots...)
That Barnes Vor-TX is 129gr @3140 with a mono, so good to 800 before dropping below 1600 for good expansion (4DOF), and won't frag/explode like the old bullets. Is 129gr @1600 enough for elk? (IMO, marginal, but with good/lucky placement it would get the job done ... a 30-30 with Winchester 150s starts at 2390, and hits that velocity about 200 yards out, just as a point of reference.)

I get it - new shiny. My last build was exactly that. But we're all chasing expensive F1 builds and tech "just in case," and that most will never actually use, because, hey, new shiny. And it's fun. And it's unneeded. But it's fun. And expensive. But fun. :)

End of the day, be sure to recognize that 95% of the time, hunting, it's not needed or likely to even get used because most are not shooting animals out past 700, 800 yards in the first place, and it's just fun blowing money on this stuff.

Yes, I own a 30SM. But it's fun-shiny and shoots 208 LRX (0.633 G1) at 2950, which is good to 1100. You know. Just in case.

Now we wait for the 338/375/+ crew to chime in about "1100, that's cute... "

=)

Cheers,
-mox

It's moderate at best, compare to ADG, Alpha, Lapua it doesn't even hold a candle
I haven't used alpha but have used all the others. I prep my brass and may do slightly less to non Hornady brass . The pockets may last a little longer on the others. Hornady will in my opinion work very well and give reasonable life. Is it top tier- no but it is available, way less expensive, and does work very well. It is not junk.

I haven't used alpha but have used all the others. I prep my brass and may do slightly less to non Hornady brass . The pockets may last a little longer on the others. Hornady will in my opinion work very well and give reasonable life. Is it top tier- no but it is available, way less expensive, and does work very well. It is not junk.
The biggest difference will be longevity. I've seen Hornady brass that split necks on the first reload. Also pretty sure the only 7 PRC brass that's hit the market as of now is from RCC. There is probably some test brass Hornady made floating around but hasn't been available to the public yet

The biggest difference will be longevity. I've seen Hornady brass that split necks on the first reload. Also pretty sure the only 7 PRC brass that's hit the market as of now is from RCC. There is probably some test brass Hornady made floating around but hasn't been available to the public yet
Anneal

I had Hornady 300 PRC brass with 7 firings on it alls I did was full length resize, trim the necks when needed and never had one issue ?
I hear a lot of horror stories about it but I really haven't had any problems.
With my 300 PRC, unless I went way too hot on working up a load my pockets have lasted. I have probably 5 or more firings without annealing and my brass has lasted, no cracked necks. I now only deburr flash holes and leave pockets alone. This has greatly helped keep pockets tight. I prep my brass. So I have zero complaints about Hornady cases. Accuracy is good.

Just a FYI to buyers looking to build 7 PRC's off tikkas:

If you're concerned about mag length restrictions Mountain Tactical offers a billet aluminum magazine with a internal length of 3.400 inches - no modifications needed.

We see so many hunters running factory precision hunter. With the 3.340 COAL - this will be a BIG hit for the guys that just want to grab n' go.

We've got a few pre-fits headed our way, excited to do some testing!

For just a few dollars less than a 7PRC you can turn a 6.5PRC into a 7PRC and still only have one rifle!