7 PRC/7SAUM Velocities

2buffalo

I am gettung a barrel chambered soon and looking for velocities people are getting in these two cartridges with different barrel lengths. Specifically 20"-24" barrels with 180 grain bullets. I am not looking for velocities on loads that primers fall out after two firings. Thanks in advance.

I've got both, and had both in multiple lengths. Prc will obviously out run Saum due to capacity, but it's definitely not by a linear amount. Saum is much more efficient in my opinion. Prc is around 8-10 grains more powder for not allot of velocity gain.
This is what I've seen as well. The 7saum is hard to beat. But the factory support of the prc makes it a tough choice. I wish the 7PRC was a tweaked 7saum case.

I've got both, and had both in multiple lengths. Prc will obviously out run Saum due to capacity, but it's definitely not by a linear amount. Saum is much more efficient in my opinion. Prc is around 8-10 grains more powder for not allot of velocity gain.
What are the velocity differences you have seen on same length barrels?

This is what I've seen as well. The 7saum is hard to beat. But the factory support of the prc makes it a tough choice. I wish the 7PRC was a tweaked 7saum case.
That's what I have been thinking but there is a bunch of saum brass around at the moment. I am sure that will change a month from now.

Yeah unfortunately the prc will outlive the Saum in the long run due to factory support, it's too bad because Saum had been really gaining steam lately. But the Saum in a 26" barrel will run 2950-3000 with 180s where the prc might get ya 3050ish. I'm currently running a 22" Saum at 2850, and had a 18" prc at 2750. So very little gain. When I first got the 18" it was to see if I could match the 22" saum in an 18" barrel. Couldn't do it. Like I said above, prc will outrun it but not by much considering how much more powder you're taking about. SAUM to this day is my favorite hunting cartridge and does everything I could ask of it

If you're only reloading and have the components I see no reason to pass on the 7saum. I LOVE mine. My wife and 12 year old daughter do too.
I reload for everything I shoot. How far out have you poked elk with the saum with 20" barrel and how did it perform? I have a bunch of 180 ELDM my 28 Nosler didn't like them though. Hoping something else will.

That's what I have been thinking but there is a bunch of saum brass around at the moment. I am sure that will change a month from now.
The rule I go by when starting a build is to have a barrels worth of components before the reamer makes chips. I know it's hard to know what components/combos it likes but I learned that a good rifle builder makes the process pretty easy for me.

My 26 inch barreled 7 SAUM gets 3030fps with 175 EH and Norma brass. 6 reloads on the same 100 brass and still going.

I reload for everything I shoot. How far out have you poked elk with the saum with 20" barrel and how did it perform? I have a bunch of 180 ELDM my 28 Nosler didn't like them though. Hoping something else will.
575 on a mature bull, full penetration
834 on an antelope buck, full penetration
550 plus this year on a buck (wife), full penetration. Video attached

Recent Posts