7 Hogs Down in 4 Stalks

Double Naught Spy

Quite a night of nearly non-stop action. Things started while I was still prepping for the evening and after each stalk, I would discovered more hogs out in the fields.

The video shows 6 recovered hogs. I sent the landowner a map showing where they were and where I thought one or two of the last two may be and he found one that he said was the same size as the spotted hog, but with 2 1/2" cutters. Sorry I missed finding him!

[ame]https://youtu.be/5jzJngDncHc[/ame]

Looks like fun. Can't decide if I wish we had hogs here, but probably for the best we don't.

Hogs are fun to hunt, no doubt. Some people enjoy eating feral hogs. Beyond that, the consequences of them ruining/rutting fields, consuming 3-5% per day of their body weight, ruining stored grain hay bails, and potential for diseases, causing automotive accidents, you are really better off without them.

Hogs are fun to hunt, no doubt. Some people enjoy eating feral hogs. Beyond that, the consequences of them ruining/rutting fields, consuming 3-5% per day of their body weight, ruining stored grain hay bails, and potential for diseases, causing automotive accidents, you are really better off without them.

Double, what I was thinking also, my son and I have been going to central California for hogs. We have a good friend who lets us hunt his ranch. Sadly most landowners there want upwards of $500 trespass fee while complaining bitterly to Fed, State and anyone who will listen about the damage. Obviously they can't alleviate the problem while charging $$$ for hunter's help. I'm not driving 9 hours one way to pay some wannabe winemaker a fee to rid him of his crop damage. If landowners are serious about eradicating hogs, drop the fees.

I hear the same argument here in Texas. I don't understand the sentiment about not paying to take care of somebody else's problem. We do that all the time with other commodities. I know a developer outside of Houston that is selling off problem trees and fill dirt. He is basically making money by letting other people clear cut his woods for the timber and leveling his property by removing excess dirt.

It doesn't really matter how the landowner perceives the issue. Would you be happier if he charged $500 and didn't complain? Then you wouldn't be paying to take care of a problem, but paying for the opportunity to hunt hogs, right?

Nobody wants to have to pay. I get that. I don't pay for all the lands I hunt, but it still costs me a lot of money and time to go through the effort of taking care of my landowners such that they allow me to continue helping them with their properties. It is obviously costing you a goodly amount of money to travel from Arizona to central California to hunt as well, and you are paying it to help take care of somebody else's problem.

I recommend a bow that you are comfortable with and can shoot with great accuracy. There is no room for error when shooting at a hog with a bow https://hunthacks.com/best-crossbow/ • Use a heavier than normal arrow such as you would for thick skinned game. Hogs can be tough to penetrate and have small kill zones. A hard hitting arrow is a must.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts