6x45 Who's using it?

I make my 6.5 Grendel brass from RP 7.62x39 cases.
RP uses small primers, a recommendation by Bill Alexander, to reduce brisance.
6.5 build xs.JPG

Modeled after Les Baer Super Varmint Rifle .264 LBC (although a poor replica)

Last edited:
Yeah I hear you, that makes sense. I put together a .20 Practical (basically a .223 case necked down to .204) recently just because it was different and fun. And it is kinda nice that the original AR bolt and mags work with it.
Yep, good one there. I went through the 20 Practical, 20 Tactical, and 204 Ruger options myself. I had hoped the 20 Tactical would take-off off but, it never really caught on The 204 Ruger came along and BAM, huge trendy popularity only to see the 20 Practical/Tactical fall into obscurity.

Yep, good one there. I went through the 20 Practical, 20 Tactical, and 204 Ruger options myself. I had hoped the 20 Tactical would take-off off but, it never really caught on The 204 Ruger came along and BAM, huge trendy popularity only to see the 20 Practical/Tactical fall into obscurity.
Yeah I also have two .204 Rugers too haha. The .20 calibers are fun.

I have a cz in 6x45 and am getting a rem 700 built in it if my gunsmith ever finishes. Literally just a pass through the expander die and the brass is ready. With a 65gr vmax And benchmark I'm getting 3100fps. A local old timer said he used it with 85gr soft point as his all around gun for a long time and said it took everything from varmints to white tail deer. I love the caliber. For comparison I also have a 6.5 Grendel, I love it too

Here is my chance to learn something. With that out of the way, wouldn't a 223 with 75 grain gold dots give you just about the same performance?

Because the bore is bigger you get better performance for any given grain weight. A 223 77 grain at 3100fps vs. a 80 grain 6x45 at 3500+. Pretty significant.

Larger bores really help within reason. The 7 Raptor makes the 300BO SuperSonic options look pretty weak. The 257 Oscelot data I have seen is pretty enticing as well but, I'm leaning towards the 257 Raptor which has been delayed thanks to COVID issues in general.

I was into the 222 Rem Mag Imp. from Bellm for years. Luckily the 204 Ruger came along, as brass was getting pretty scarce!
Enter Gary Reeder with his Raptor designs, 240, 257, and 6.5 Raptors utilizing the full case length or 204 Ruger.
Arne Brennan with his abbreviated design for the AR of his 7 Raptor. Well, Reeder comes out with his 7mm and 30 caliber Raptors, changing the shoulder for these last two for increased case capacity.
I've got the 30 Raptor in a 16" barrel and it shoots like a dream! A freaking Blackout on steroids! (.308X47mm)

I don't plan to unless it's a gas platform. They can move projectiles in the magazine from recoil depending on your tension. I've always heard and done the crimping for gas guns.

That's what I was thinking, this is the first major gas gun that will use reloads.
Just saw hornady offers a FCD( factor crimp die) now. Figure on picking that up and the set of 21st century expanders

I was into the 222 Rem Mag Imp. from Bellm for years. Luckily the 204 Ruger came along, as brass was getting pretty scarce!
Enter Gary Reeder with his Raptor designs, 240, 257, and 6.5 Raptors utilizing the full case length or 204 Ruger.
Arne Brennan with his abbreviated design for the AR of his 7 Raptor. Well, Reeder comes out with his 7mm and 30 caliber Raptors, changing the shoulder for these last two for increased case capacity.
I've got the 30 Raptor in a 16" barrel and it shoots like a dream! A freaking Blackout on steroids! (.308X47mm)
Those 204 based Raptors to me are a different beast that I suspect have some COAL issues with the AR-15 magazines with the 257 bullet options many people use.

One of the things I like about Arne's Raptors is the use of the 5.56 case and being sized to work well in the AR-15 magazine. Not the absolute fastest but, well-rounded calibers.

That's what I was thinking, this is the first major gas gun that will use reloads.
Just saw hornady offers a FCD( factor crimp die) now. Figure on picking that up and the set of 21st century expanders
Might look at the Lee crimp die also. A lot of guys here use that one. 21st century expanders are what I use also, great stuff

I'm thinking about this for my daughters, I like the the concept. What information do you guys have on application, hunting, accuracy, ease of loading?
6x45 which I've used in the '70s is a really nice recoiling and forgiving wildcat. Accuracy can be "outstanding" in a good barrel. Good luck.

Im getting a 1-10 twist black hole weaponry from another member to try out.
Im trying to find a seekins IRMT-R or -3 to get the hand guard mounted on the upper instead of the barrel nut.