6x45 bullet thoughts

snox801

Alright so as a fun project I had my Howa re barreled to a 6x45 16inch. Wanted a fun little walking gun for pigs and deer, with the range in mind to. So I was building it to shoot the 90 or 95gr bullets. I let the barrel company know I would not be shooting light bullets. I got it back with a 1/10 twist no problem so far shoots good groups.

Now here is where I would like some thoughts. I have been loading some cutting edge bullets and like them. So I looked them up in 6mm they have 55gr and 65gr. The 65 needs a 1/9.25 twist so that's out. So what are your thoughts on the 55gr vs the 95 Bt. Bullets are about the same in length so for deer and pigs what would be your guys choice. The 55 should be able to be pushed faster but is lighter. This is also a limited range gun no more than 300 yards and that is if the perfect shot is there. I am still working up loads for accuracy so I have not chronographed it yet with 95s.

So what are your thoughts.

My 6x45 is 1-8 twist and my favorite prairie dog bullet is the Sierra 70 grain hp.Never had any problem with stabilizing 65 v-max to 95 grain.I decided to stick with the Sierra because it shot so well. I tried the 58 grain but it would not do well.

I wish mine was a 1-8. Kinda ****ed when I got it back cause I told him I'd only shoot heavy long bullets. I've got sshooting well. Just wondering if the 55 gr cutting edge moving faster would be better than the 95 gr going slower. Both have good BC. Just wondering fast and light or heavy slow. Normally I go with the heavy but the cutting edge bullets seem to bring more to the table than the etip.

The best killing bullet I ever saw in 6MM was an 85 grain Sierra HPBT. This bullet gives good penetration but also opens. Hardly anything ever takes a step. I even know of 4 bear kills and none of them moved including a 350 pounder at 500 yards with a 6 IMP. Matt

I tried the 85 seirras when Ifirst got it and could not get a good group. I didn't do much load work thou. I've also done SST and nosler. Both with good results. Just relay wondering what thoughts are about the lighter faster CBE rapotor vs the heavy slower 90 95 gr bullets. Same could be said for other mono bullets but just using these as a reference.

I would not pigs with the light bullets. Now that is just my opinion. I would want at lest 80 grain. I shot the 80 Berger VLD in my 6BR pistol and it shoots them. I shot at 200 yards and shot well under 2 inches. Not bad I thought for a 10 inch barrel. Matt

I wanted heavy for the same line of thought, pigs. But with the new bullet tech and extra speed I'm trying to weigh the options. Some claim because of the added speed the energy is in fact higher. That being said it was coming from a copper bullet maker.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.