which 6mm would you choose

• 6mm Rem

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • 6mm Creedmoor

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 6mm SLR

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
The 6mm Remington is a fantastic case, best used on a long action. Long actions are not the train wreck that most would think, and the advantages with VLD bullets are wonderful.

The 6 AI is really in another class, shooting 105's over 3200 easily.

I use Winchester brass, old blue bag. I have some extra if you need some.

For rock chucks in a 6 AI, 14T, I shoot the 70g Nosler in a zero freebore chamber at 4000-4100 shooting bug holes with a 26" barrel Using Win 760. ON coyotes, 80g Sierra blitz at 3800 with R#19 with the 14T, dispatches chucks and coyotes with authority.

20180429_213442.jpg

105 vld in the lands

I have had quite a few 6mm REM. Currently, have a 40x with a 10twist I shoot 87gr VLD's over Varget getting 3290FPS
I also have a 9 twist I shoot 105gr BTHP over RL22 3020fps

I'm in southern Idaho, elevation is 3700.

I never had trouble finding brass, but if it's an issue, then 6 rem from 270 brass is only a little more complicated than using 7x57 or 257 Roberts to make your 6mm Rem brass. Simple.

......It's not like we're talking about forming .577/450 for a Martini Henry......

I've owned two 6mm Remingtons, and two 6mm Ackleys in the past. All three shot very well once dialed in. All were nine twist barrels, and nothing from Berger shot worth a **** in them (didn't seem to mater what weight).
I really liked H414 in the standard 6mm. Seemed to work well with anything 87 grains and lighter, plus I could make it work with 100 grain bullets, but not as well. Can't remember what I used in the Ackley chambers, but started out with his load data and moved on from there.
The Ackley case fire forms very well, but you want a very stiff load (VERY!). Expect about .035" case shrinkage after forming, as your moving a lot of brass around. The Ackley is prone to the dreaded doughnut (as most all 40 degree shoulders are). There's also a nearly identical chambering with a 30 degree shoulder. Lot less issues with the doughnut! Velocity is very close to the 40 degree shoulder. The case is slightly overbore, so is best suited for 87 grain and heavier bullets.
Either round is a legit 650 yard dog gun, and probably 800 yards with everything perfect. I don't see that good in my old age. Ackley said in his book that the standard 6mm was about the max capacity without going into overbore, and we can see that in some of the ridiculously over bore cases out now. I shoot the 6mm/250AI case in an eight twist barrel. It will push a 105 grain AMAX just slightly under 3100fps without be a max load (44 grains of H1000 if memory is correct). It's got the same issues that the .243 has, but gets there with a little less powder. Plus everybody has 22-250 cases in stock. Neck needs to be about .080" longer (or more). Add to this the fact that this case fits ALL short actions.
gary

That pic was mag length.
My bullets touching lands had .040" room in my Savage DMB.
Just so happens the 105vld liked .055 jump, so that is .095" room in my mag.

Last time I looked for it (when that dude wanted to trade me) I couldn't find any online or locally. Granted, this was 4+ years ago, when brass and components were near-impossible to find, thanks to Ohomo and his gun ban threats after the Sandy Hook false flag push.

Yep I bet you couldn't. Hell it was hard to find 5.56 9mm even at anything under double what it was just prior. Certainly cant argue there. I know when we were playing with George Gardners 6 crusader wildcat we ended up making it from 7x57 as we were having to form it anyways and got better brass to boot. What I disliked about that round is you had to use a mag that got you 2.9 or better and still had nothing left to chase with. That is what caused me to design a similar powder capacity but with the long neck of the orginal 6 Remmy but shorter and fatter but still with the 473 bolt. I used a shortened 6.5x284. Got me high 58 ish powder capacity and a shoulder close to that of the creedmore but 35 degrees. I loose 1 rnd in mag capacity but can seat anything from 50s to 115s+. Now I just have to stop delaying and order the reamer and dies. No fun forming it out of butchered dies little by little lol.

I was never a 6 fan for anything but varmints etc. Over the last 10-15 yr I have been liking it more and more especially for LR paper or steel out to 1200. Lighter gun, no recoil comapritively, cheaper brass, bullets everywhere with great...no unbelievable B.C.s compared to before berger and tubbs. My favs now are Hrdy ELDs New SMK, and of course Bergers hybrids. Stupid easy to find loads that will punch .1s and .2s.

TBrice,

Nice shootn.

Trickmisfit,

So true about the stiff load to get a sharp shoulder. I had nothing but rounded edges until I jacked up the psi spike.

These days I almost never shoot anything under the 100 gr. The 103/8 elds, 105/115hybrids, and the 110SMK. The latter and 115 only in my 7.5 and 7 twist barrels which were my last two purchases and sold all my 9 twist hunters. The longest jump that I used that groups well was the 105s and a 0.087 jump as I had no more room in the mag as the throat wore. Those hybrids seem to group well from 0.015 out to 0.090. Depends on a well centered chamber and straight loads. The old vlds were a pita.

I have no issue with well made la actions unless its something were even a second can make a difference. Still I do like SA if the cartridge really is designed for it with todays long bullets.i.e. Rich's 6.5 SS being a perfect example.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.