6mm rem or 6mmAI

Considering the top F class guys are getting 750-1000 and know every barrel made, I think he is about 6800 over on his estimate. No one and I mean no one is getting 2000 rounds out of a 6.5-284 with any kind of accuracy at the end.

BH

The top F class shooters warm up their bbls. JB builds hunting rifles. I can't defend his statement to me, just reporting what he relayed to me. That said, I'll be finding out how many rounds my Bartlien bbl will take in my hunting rifle chambered in this caliber. I'll post whatever round count I get to but I'm sure it will be 10-15 years from now. :D

That smith needs a resize reamer to do that size die, not a chamber reamer so make sure he has one.

BH

must have something nobody else uses. Everybody I know that reams a die blank; simply does it with the chambering reamer. Now there are roughing reamers, and throating reamers as well as forcing cone reamers. And one company sells stuff made for once fired cases and new cases. But this is new to me.
gary

The way to start out is with a single shot Savage action. The short one will handle the 57mm case length just barely. The Savage is a little longer than the Remington 700 action (I think it's about .150"). The advantage you'll see is in bullet selection, and making them fit. There is no actual SAAMI data on these two cartridges, and using the Remingtion magazine will not do you much good here. Go with a single shot Savage for the slightly longer action length. (also shoots slower giving the barrel a breather)

The 6/.284 is a barrel burner just like the 6.5/.284. The velocity difference between the 6/.284 and the 6mm AI is nill. You can fireform cases with factory loaded 6mm Remington ammunition (you will see a tiny bit of shrinkage). You can't do that with the 6/.284, and necking 6.5/.284 brass down and foreforming will become a chore. I think a 70 grain bullet at 3650 fps out of either one is about it (The 6AI will hit about 3725 fps at about 52K psi in the chamber). There isn't a lot data out there on the 6AI, but Ackley says it will do 3750 using 4064 powder. Huntington claimed 3800+ using 4320 and a 70 grain bullet. I've never known a single person that built a 6/.284 that kept the chambering, but do know a few guys that have shortened the .284 case and been very happy with it.

But of course if you really wanta have a fast 6mm, you can go with a 6mm Vias. This case works very well in a short action Remington and will push a 70 grain bullet in the 4000 fps area
gary

I love my 6x284 26" Hart bbl 1000+ rounds. 70gr Nosler BT with Re#17 is doing 4,000 FPS. Fire forming is a cinch run the 6.5x284 case through a FL 6x284 die and your done. 1st loading is ready as ever for hunting.

I say forget the AI version completely. Baptize your brain and clean the thoughts of AI from it. The gains are subtle. That said, if you do choose the AI version, consider shooting moly coated bullets to aid with barrel life if indeed moly does that to any real degree. I don't know if it does or not. Keep in mind that rifles can be finicky as it is and adding moly just adds one more variable.

Good luck with whatever you choose. If you really want a shooter, build a 22-6mm!

Maybe for some calibers, but for the 6mm, I couldn't disagree more. Go with the 6mm AI

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.