6mm Norma BR. or .243 WSSM???

joseph

Next year I am planning on a Prong Horn hunt in Wyoming. Which one should I use? The 6mm Norma BR. is benchrest accurate with a tactical stock. The .243 WSSM is a Winchester Coyote with a varmint weight barrel which will consistently shoot 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the same 105 grain Berger hunting VLDs. The WSSM shoots them really fast compared to the 6mm Norma.

What is your advice especially if the shots are out to 600 + yards? gun)

Thanks,

joseph

Leave the BR home.

I shoot and hunt a 6br, it is my go to small cal. rifle. I've had a chance to use it on a few deer with shots from 300-760. On a calm day it kicks *** but is still risky out past 500 things change fast. This year I was thinking of taking it to Wyoming on a goat hunt and could have gotten away with it for the most part BUT the longer goats taken (longest 860) would have been safe or worse wounded with the BR. So if you are willing to pass on a Monster if you have to, take it but if the wind shows its *** it's not the cartridge I want to be stuck with. If I could have brought both I would have. (BR and WSM)

At home I love it because I can pick the conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.