The Kid broke in 338 Norma

sp6x6

Antelope hunting with my son and a buddy. saw a buck and a few does for a spot and stalk, looked like longer shot so the 257 WBY, stayed in rig.We got on a knob in the 800 range and my boy really wanted to shoot. Buck was bedded and we belly crawled about 50 closer. I had to do jumping jacks and wave my HO for buck to stand, wind was 10-15 and buck was slight 1/4. hAD THE BOY HOLD 1/2 MIL for wind and he shot.Shot went right in front of brisket, well they took off, and @ this point my laser decided to take a crapper as I had used all bow season. the goats stopped and based on last read I told son to dial 4 mil for a 700 + shot. He let her go and I saw buck rear back a bit like a hit. Well they ran but buck lagged and we caught him at about 300 and the kid finished him. The first shot was way low for no range finder and he shot his foot off and he did not want to run off.2 shot hammered him as you see in photo. First game for 338 Norma. Then my buddy took a nice goat at 450 with his 300WSM, I caught that action, took out opposite shoulder w/ 200 NAB. Finally I spotted a nice buck 1 mile + away. Looked like a shooter. On my way a coyote stalked to 20 yards and jumped him out of his bed. He took off a short distance and bedded again. I worked to 550 due to terrain, and shot off a log kneeling, which wasnt that great of a rest, but ok.I shot him in his bed and basically took both legs, and brisket out. One leg was almost gone. My buddy also filled a doe tag.We had a great hunt.

Attachments

• horns-11 011.jpg
    horns-11 011.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 136
  • horns-11 017.jpg
    horns-11 017.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 138
  • horns-11 012.jpg
    horns-11 012.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 141
  • horns-11 013.jpg
    horns-11 013.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for the pics and write up!! It looks like fun was had by all, except the coyote. What did your buck measure? It looks like a good one.

The buck was right at 75'', I missed 2 in last 2 years that looked better with my 257 and bad wind calls. It is a fun hunt for us because we hunt timber back at home.

I enjoyed the write up! Those are some nice goats. What bullet were you shooting in the 338 Norma, it sure did some damage.

300 GR. Bergers, have shown great accuracy in rifle. Bullet did same on a 6x6 bull this season

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.