6mm Hornady 110 A-Tip - Terminal Performance Thread (with pics)

orkan

Two animals down so far this year with 110 A-tip. Pronghorn at 134yds, and a doe whitetail at 180. Both from a 6mm PRC Primal pushing them at 3250fps.

Didn't get pics of the pronghorn, as it was quite warm and I was in a hurry to get him in the freezer. Slight quartering away. Ran 50yds and tipped over. Vitals were jello. Bullet hit the off-side shoulder and blew a 4" exit.

Shot a whitetail doe hard quartering. Bullet entered just in front of the diaphram, and exited on the front side of the shoulder. Vitals were jello. Bullet just clipped the front/top of the shoulder blade. I found some jacket material in there... but the majority of the bullet exited. She took 10 wobbly steps and tipped over. Pics are after it hung for a few days for tenderizing.

Entrance
ulumUkvh.jpg

Inside exit
s9IPtMIh.jpg

Between shoulder and rib cage
wJA6yIHh.jpg

If you have terminal experience with this bullet, share it here.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Filled 3 more tags yesterday within about 15 seconds.

Here's one at 445yds
Entrance
ZlmISzFh.jpg

Exit
lLjPtrYh.jpg

Another at 306yds. Entrance was typical small hole. Exit clipped the shoulder and detonated the off side.
Loh0VFWh.jpg

Shot another one at 284yds, but forgot to grab pics when processing. Pass through in every instance. Snow was covered in blood. Vitals were absolutely smashed in every animal. So far, the 6mm 110 A-tips are working well 100% of the time.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

They did a job, but a lot of blood shot.
Are we caring about that? Is that a thing now?

I choose bullets based on whether they make things dead. I don't expect to not have meat loss when I connect with bone. Between that, and the velocity I have these moving out at... it's expected that there will be damage. Yet I've only lost meat due to the bullet connecting with the off-side shoulder. That's just how the angles play out sometimes.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

You must be feeling better! That last one looks nasty, how much of the quarter was salvageable? Just cause it looks shot doesn't mean it's wasted, just got to trim some.

Are we caring about that? Is that a thing now?
A little bit yes, I'm not ever going to go out and try for wanton waste in a harvest. God gave us these animals to be ours, they need to be respected the same as all of creation.

But I don't think for a second you intended to create waste, so it never crossed my mind that you you did anything wrong here. Things happen and one quarter isn't the end of the world or wasteful if it was part of a clean kill and there wasn't any bad intention behind it.

I don't bone out rib meat on little whitetails, and I don't consider that wasteful because where I dump the carcasses everything else needs to eat too. Not like it ends up buried in a city dump somewhere, I give back a portion after keeping the balance. A busted quarter is the same thing.

Betcha it still eats great.

My camera operator was pretty green. (first time) So the footage is questionable at best... and only two were in frame for the shot. But they tried! lol

I was able to grab 3/4 of the meat off that quarter. Not a big loss by any stretch. As usual, it looks worse than it is when you start trimming.

Having touched on it, I'd like to get the thread back on track. Terminal performance. Killing capability. Not a lot of experience with the A-tips out there, and I'm getting asked about it all the time. So far I've got straight broad side right in the pocket, hard quartering away, and a couple off-side shoulder hits. I'd like to see a hard quartering to, where I'd have to take the on-side shoulder... and I still need to air one out at 800'ish.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the science on these bullets so far this season. 5 animals down, and I think 6 more to go.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I know Broz shot a few elk with the 230 Atip and he wasn't sold on them for that purpose. Everything I've heard about Atips on deer sized game has been nothing but positive.

Blood shot areas I look at to see what a round does in damage to the meat. That's what I go by, and have for a very great many years. I look at other peoples animals to see what or how the bullet reacts. Yes the bullet you used did a job, and put down the animal. If you are happy with what was done that's find by me. In the pass I have had bullet that bloodshot entire side of an animal. It didn't hit any bone going in or out. It put the animal at the same time. That box of bullet still sits on my shelve. That was in the middle 70's.

Big bodied buck found his way in my crosshairs this morning. He held the 110 Atip. I went for a high shoulder shot, and landed it perfectly at 583yds. Bullet ticked the shoulder blade going in, but didn't blow up bad, then jellied the lungs, and hit the off side shoulder and absolutely demolished it. No exit. Bang-flop. Will be cutting him up later and will see if I can recover the bullet.

ZYWVYf8h.jpg

Entrance
F6cbtgGh.jpg

Off-side Shoulder external
O4v8RYKh.jpg

Off-side Shoulder internal
dIZb1W5h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Big bodied buck found his way in my crosshairs this morning. He held the 110 Atip. I went for a high shoulder shot, and landed it perfectly at 583yds. Bullet ticked the shoulder blade going in, but didn't blow up bad, then jellied the lungs, and hit the off side shoulder and absolutely demolished it. No exit. Bang-flop. Will be cutting him up later and will see if I can recover the bullet.

ZYWVYf8h.jpg

Entrance
F6cbtgGh.jpg

Off-side Shoulder external
O4v8RYKh.jpg

Off-side Shoulder internal
dIZb1W5h.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Looks like it did the job.

I'm cautious with stuff like that. I high shoulder also when I can't afford to track..

With no snow. Or on the edge of woods. You couldn't of tracked that deer.

That's my only issue with them.

I shot my buck this year at 386 with a 156 Berger out of a PRC. He ran about 40 yards. And looked like he drug a shop broom covered in red paint behind him.

Curious as to why? They are remarkably more expensive. Do they shoot that much better for you?

Josh.

Blood shot areas I look at to see what a round does in damage to the meat. That's what I go by, and have for a very great many years. I look at other peoples animals to see what or how the bullet reacts. Yes the bullet you used did a job, and put down the animal. If you are happy with what was done that's find by me. In the pass I have had bullet that bloodshot entire side of an animal. It didn't hit any bone going in or out. It put the animal at the same time. That box of bullet still sits on my shelve. That was in the middle 70's.

I head shoot meat animals… if I was willing to destroy both shoulders. Then I prolly don't need to kill it for "meat".

Does aren't exactly difficult to get within range of… And head shots within 300 are child's play.

Now buck/bull/trophy hunting. Shoot 'em in the shoulders until they stop moving…

But for meat hunting. I shoot for skull.