6mm for AR

I've been shooting a Whitely 6mmAR for a dozen years, it is basically identical to the recently introduced Hornady ARC. Used primarily for 300 yard Egg Shoots. Competes very well with the bolt rifles It is simply a necked down 6.5 Grendle running about 2800FPS with 107/108gr bullets. Exceptionally accurate with my Hart 8TW, 24" target barrel/Whitely upper. A couple 100 yard groups. After the first group, raised the POI for more precise sighting on the 1/8' red diamond.
View attachment 339813
Sounds like a great set up

I've got a 6arc and barrels in both 18" and 22" lengths. It literally runs almost as fast as all of the 6mm wildcat stuff that guys go through a 42 step process to make for prs, (think 6mm brx-hsu27rhe, or whatever the cool kids are shooting now), and you can buy excellent factory ammo cheap. It is laser accurate, lethal on game, especially coyotes, (I haven't tried it on pigs, but I'm sure it would perform admirably). No magazine issues loading it, ridiculously long barel life, very low recoil, factory dies are everywhere. I think Hornady hit one out of the park with this one.
I go to most of the local gun shows and have visited several local shops. I've never seen a 6mm ARC for sale nor have I seen any ammo or components. Everything I've read about the ARC sounds fantastic, but I think it's pointless to buy a rifle (if you could find one) that ammo or components are non-existent.

I have bought probably 800 rounds of factory ammo off the shelf in the last 18 months. It's everywhere. The dies are everywhere. Hornady has done a pretty good job promoting it. Savage, christensen, cmmg, Springfield, stag, howa, and a dozen other manufacturers have chambered rifles on the market right now. Proof sells cf and steel barrels chambered in it.

I think you haven't been paying attention.

I go to most of the local gun shows and have visited several local shops. I've never seen a 6mm ARC for sale nor have I seen any ammo or components. Everything I've read about the ARC sounds fantastic, but I think it's pointless to buy a rifle (if you could find one) that ammo or components are non-existent.
I love the 6mm and only had 3 at the same time. The old .243, 6PPC, and 6 BR Rem. Sold them all when I was unable to fire anything shoulder mounted. Read a lot of info on all 6's and would hate to have to choose.

I had a 24" ARC upper, and sold it as brass was non existant. Forming brass from 6.5 Grendel is an option, but that is non obtainium also. I have a 243 LBC that outperformed the arc in all ways. My friend has built 2 different arc's, and both seem to reach pressure way before "book" loads. Even factory Black and Match ammo were on the border of over pressure, and cases were "one and done" as far as being reloadable. Shooting Lapua brass in both chamberings, I load 30.5 gr in the 243 LBC and couldn't get over 28.5 gr in the ARC without wasting cases. I guess some are getting great results with the ARC, but I found it to be a disappointment. I was really hoping it would work...rsbhunter

I'm on my 3rd or 4th reloading of brass on factory ammo, with zero problems. I've had 2 barrels, neither had pressure issues with factory ammo. I've fired probably 7-800 rounds through mine with no issues. I've seen absolutely zero of the issues you've described, nor have I heard of any. I'm shooting an 87gr vmax over 31gr leverevolution, literally the fastest load in the hornady manual, backed off probably a half grain, and have no pressure issues. I have no idea how you could have so many issues..

I just researched the 243 LBC load data. I don't see how it beats the 6mm arc. My 22" barrel throws a 105gr hornady black 2790. If you go to case capacity on a 243 lbc with the same bullet and 2" more barrel, you can get all the way to 2750.

So, where did you get your data? It sure doesn't add up to any of the load data I can find for the LBC.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! The difference between the 2 cartridges is approx .010 neck length. Tell you that it never made sense to me. The friend I told you about has a E.A Brown bbl and a McGowan bbl. Now, to qualify him as a non idiot, he was a tool and die maker for years, shot everything from quick draw pistol, black powder rifle target, to 22 cal Target. He has ar's in calibers from 308, 6mm , 22 valkerie etc. I have heard about the great luck that people have had with the ARC, and I'm glad....just not the 7or 8 guy's that tried them at the range I belong to....but if it works for you, im glad....rsbhunter

On the 6mm ARC Hornady pushed the shoulder back .030 compared to the 243LBC/6 Grendel. This would account for the 2 grain difference rsbhunter was speaking of. The neck length would not factor into the 243LBC increased case capacity, its that it is .030 longer at the shoulder

Last edited:
6mm in an ar15 platform? Hit the easy button and go 6arc....if you can find ammo for it.
I think the 6arc really shines in a bolt action with a 24" barrel.
If you want something to shoot hogs with the 6.8spc is pretty hard to beat and leaves a little more meat on the bolt. I'd say the majority of the "professional" hog hunters in Texas are switching back to 6.8spc because it just kills pigs. 7.62x39 is nice because of cheap ammo. 6.5 Grendel is kinda anemic without handloads or a longer barrel.

I've used 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 in the ar15 platform and the best killer I've found is 5.56 with a 75gr hpbt going as fast as you can make it go! My buddy shoots a 6.8spc and inside 200yds it kills better than anything out of an ar15 that I've seen. I don't know why its so much more effective but it is. Just my opinion

I have a Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit lower and would like to add a 6mm upper for hogs and coyotes. Used to be a simple choice between 6mm Rem and .243. Now with all the 6mm versions available I would like opinions on which would be the most accurate and lethal combination. Any preference as to barrel maker would be greatly appreciated.
I'm starting out trying a 6 mm arc.bullets anywhere from 87 to 105 Grain

I've kind of putting any 6mm issues for now. Need to address some medical issues. Just going to stick with my .223 for now. Thanks for your info
The .223 has a great deal of versatility depending on the rate of twist in your barrel. I just hate cleaning that tiny bore. I love everything there is to love about the 6mm PPC including how easy it is to reform the .220 Russian cartridge should the PPC brass ever completely dry up. Fortunately I have 1000 PPC cases, and the round is very easy on cartridges. I get 10 to 12 reloadings out of a case. You can't complain about the PPC's recoil~!