6mm Dasher

I put together a semi light weight 6 dasher this fall. 22" Benchmark 7 twist, trued Remington with PTG bolt, Manners EH1, trigger tech, MBM 3 port brake. It is the Norma brass version. I'm currently shooting the 103 ELD-X at 2910 FPS according to my drops out to 500 yds. Seems kind of fast to me but drops are spot on out to 500. Really fun gun to shoot ,with zero recoil. All that with only 32 gr of Varget. What's not to like? Only one pronghorn so far at 298 yds. Hope to whack a few whitetail in Texas in a few weeks.

D72F8139-A2EB-4620-BEF9-A7458389C1CA.jpeg
0C736A81-9FB5-4653-AF72-77886FC0F9A2.jpeg
D72F8139-A2EB-4620-BEF9-A7458389C1CA.jpeg
Couple speed goats with 6mm dasher LR pistol. One at 640'yds the other only 200 ish yards. 105 gr berger vld and Varget. Love the Dasher

I will, in all likelihood, stick with Lapua brass. I'm either going to keep life simple by just chambering in 6mmBR or going the Dasher route. The Dasher certainly seems like a time-tested favorite of the BR crowd.
I've had AI cartridges in the past and ultimately decided that they were rarely worth the extra effort. I'm 50/50 on which way to go for this project.

I run a new dasher that's a remage. I'm getting 3000fps with a 26" criterion 7.5 twist,107gr smk, 35.5gr re16, cci 450, and norma dasher brass that I trimmed to lapua length (no fireforming/ saves barrel life). And, that load has an sd of 6.1 fps, I am sure there's room to push it further but I'm up to the neck with powder now. Re16 is definitely the powder to use imo. Will be testing it out at k&m precision to see how it holds up.

Attachments

• 20191225_151850.jpg
    20191225_151850.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 114
I built an ultra light (<5.5 lbs) with an Accurate Mag DBM in 6mm Dasher and love it. It has a 24" barrel and my node with the 105 Bergers is 2950 to 3000 fps easy with no pressure. It was a lot of fun fire forming the brass with the cream of wheat method. I chose the 6 Dasher over some of the other BR improved cases as Wilson made a die for it for a reasonable cost. I still can't bring myself to pay $200 for dies. Crazy accurate. My .243 is collecting dust.

I went with Lapua cases for more life and supposed case capacity. Search bench rest sites for barrel life. I think the norm is about 1500 to 2000 if you load on the warm side. Most shoot 30" barrels.

I built an ultra light (<5.5 lbs) with an Accurate Mag DBM in 6mm Dasher and love it. It has a 24" barrel and my node with the 105 Bergers is 2950 to 3000 fps easy with no pressure. It was a lot of fun fire forming the brass with the cream of wheat method. I chose the 6 Dasher over some of the other BR improved cases as Wilson made a die for it for a reasonable cost. I still can't bring myself to pay $200 for dies. Crazy accurate. My .243 is collecting dust.

I went with Lapua cases for more life and supposed case capacity. Search bench rest sites for barrel life. I think the norm is about 1500 to 2000 if you load on the warm side. Most shoot 30" barrels.
Thanks I will do that

I've got a semi-custom Rem 40X rifle in 22-243 that I'm going to rebarrel soon. I've always been interested in owning/shooting a 6mm Dasher. The rifle will not be used for competition. I just want an accurate rifle that can shoot small groups @ 400yds-600yds or for ringing steel for fun. I'm also looking for something with looong barrel life.

Fireforming the 6mm BR case in a Dasher chamber apparently shortens the brass notably. Does the excessive space in the chamber create problems; carbon or jacket fouling build up, or other issues?

At the distance I intend to use the rifle; would I just be better off shooting the standard 6mm BR without using an "improved" version?

Then there is the option of chambering for the newer Norma 6mm Dasher brass which has the shoulder moved forward but maintains a long neck with no fireforming necessary. Possibly the best of both worlds. Presumably the long neck will help reduce throat erosion.

What do you guys think??
some info I just came across. Top 20 shooters in recent 1000 yd. shoot. 12-dasher no 6br all others 6.5 and larger. Watched 600 yd. shoot and over 50% were dasher. Some 6br but not sure how many. Info I have read says 6br is very capable to 600 yd. If you go with dasher I would start with dasher brass.

some info I just came across. Top 20 shooters in recent 1000 yd. shoot. 12-dasher no 6br all others 6.5 and larger. Watched 600 yd. shoot and over 50% were dasher. Some 6br but not sure how many. Info I have read says 6br is very capable to 600 yd. If you go with dasher I would start with dasher brass.

Unfortunately, Lapua does not make Dasher brass. However, there are a few companies that sell hydoformed Lapua cases, if I go that route.

I've got a semi-custom Rem 40X rifle in 22-243 that I'm going to rebarrel soon. I've always been interested in owning/shooting a 6mm Dasher. The rifle will not be used for competition. I just want an accurate rifle that can shoot small groups @ 400yds-600yds or for ringing steel for fun. I'm also looking for something with looong barrel life.

Fireforming the 6mm BR case in a Dasher chamber apparently shortens the brass notably. Does the excessive space in the chamber create problems; carbon or jacket fouling build up, or other issues?

At the distance I intend to use the rifle; would I just be better off shooting the standard 6mm BR without using an "improved" version?

Then there is the option of chambering for the newer Norma 6mm Dasher brass which has the shoulder moved forward but maintains a long neck with no fireforming necessary. Possibly the best of both worlds. Presumably the long neck will help reduce throat erosion.

What do you guys think??
You might look at the 6-6.5X47 Lapua. Easy to make brass by necking down Lapua 6.5X47 brass. Has a little more horsepower than the 6 Dasher, but should be easy on a barrel.

Yote,nice.I have couple Xp's gathering dust, thinking of going this route.What's is your barrel make and length.Does the loaded dasher clear ejection port or do you have to pull the bolt out.
Well being a single shot it's easy to get a loaded round out of the magazine don't need to pull the bolt but my Smith move my bolt release to easy to get to spot so that's not a problem anyway but never have a problem with a loaded round at all getting out of a ejection port
17 1/2" McGowan barrel #7 taper fluted , it's really heavy. It is crazy accurate, probably the most accurate gun I own, And an absolute blast hunting with the long range pistol. Brass is super easy to form. I did buy some of the new Alpha munitions brass. They make Dasher brass now but I have 100 rounds of it I haven't tried shooting any yet

Last edited:
The dasher is an excellent round. Holds many records. We have tried bigger cases and they do not agg with a Dasher, BRA, or BR. Depending on the powder you run and your barrel, most guys will end up 2975-3030, with 28-30" barrels. The 6 BRA will also reach that node, but you will be at higher pressure. In your case with a remington action I would probably stick with the dasher. Stick with Lapua brass and false shoulder or hydro form. The case will suck back to about 1.540" which is a good thing for making good brass, the extra room at the end of the neck does not hurt, and I dont recommend shortening the chamber length. Tight in this area is a bad thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts