22 dasher

cdog

Hello all! I have decided to rechamber my 223 to a 22 dasher. I understand I can hope for 22-250ai velocity with 22br accuracy? My question is there a reason not to go this route? Also where mite one locate a reloading die set for this caliber? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated,

Cdog.

Caliber = 22
Cartridge = 22Dasher

It would be a fun cartridge, but you'll need custom dies, and accurate barrel life will likely be ~1300-1500. So I'd get 2 barrels finished for it.

Accuracy is an abstract from barrel to barrel, regardless of cartridge.

Thanks for your reasponse. Do you know of any manufacturer that may have this caliber on hand or is it really that obscure? I guess what I'm saying is this something a gunsmith would have to duplicate from a fire formed round I provide, or is there any standardization for this round at all??? Thanks again for your time,

Cdog.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know of any manufacturer that may have this caliber on hand or is it really that obscure?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'caliber' is 22. It's a common standard.
No, you can't buy 22Dasher ammo at Walmart. It's a wildcat.

Don't take it wrong, I'm trying to help you.
You need to pick up a reloading book and learn the basics. Then, research wildcat cartridges. Earn the knowledge.
Then, when you ask questions, and people take the time to answer them, it won't be a complete waste of time. You won't frustrate a gunsmith, wanting something beyond your understanding. And you won't waste time and money in a failed rifle project.

99% of what you'll get from this cartridge is knowledge. You'll realize this once you've made the ammo successfully. And I would recommend you do so before spending a dime on a rifle for it. If nothing else, so you'll know what to order.

If you are having a custom rifle built 22-250 AI accuracy will be the same as 22br accuracy. The 250 will be MUCH more user friendly as far as dies and available information. When you get a rifle built on either make sure you are specific on what bullets you are focused on and make sure the barrel and chamber are setup for those bullets. If you want to shoot VLD/ULD style bullets a short throat reamer that is setup for 55 BT/VMAX style bullets will really eat up case volume. Decide on brass and check the dimensions on some loaded rounds and make sure the neck diameter is a good fit. If you really want to shoot long range seriously consider steping up in caliber. The 6mm's are quite an advantage but that's just my opinion!!! Good luck with your project, get lots of info before you send your cash off.

Cdog,

You will have to have the boltface opened up meaning the base of a 223 isn't the same size as a 22-dasher -22-250 etc..That's not a big deal of coarse.
You might consider a 223 AI.There are many great components for the 223 and fireforming is as easy as loading up some fullhouse 223 loads and shooting them while breaking in the barrel.You can get dies no-problem -several makers have them sitting on the shelf.
There are many things that go along w/benchrest accuracy expensive shooting rests -benchs-scopes barrels -reloading equipment-etc-ect..
A 223AI will shoot on the heels of a 22-250 and is very accurate w/low recoil -simple yet cool.Best of luck w/your choice and let know what you choose.-Mike

Thanks far the replies everyone. I realize I'll need a 243 bolthead, custom dies so far are going to be the hardest to locate. One person on another forum sudgested getting a 22br die and use my reamer to hog it out.

I also read that although the 22-250 ackley would be the easiest way to go that the brass by I'ts nature in that round is not very strong just above the cartridge base? I beleive one would have to check this with calipers as you reloaded to stay away from case head separation?

I would also like a round that offered the fine lapua brass, so as far as I know there is no 22-250 lapua brass,I'd have to make it from 243 or 6.5x47 perhaps? Which sounds like extra work to me.

Perhaps I should do a 22 cheetah or 22-243. I realize they wouldnt differ that much from the 22-250ai but I was after something a little more off the beaten track. I really dont care about eating the barrels or the like, I simply thought the dasher sounded like a cake and eat it too round. Thanks again,

Cdog.

I have had 22-250 ackley, 22 dasher's, and 22-243 ackleys. For the amount of speed you get for the powder used, the dasher is the winner. I have the resize reamer for the 22 dasher. I would suggest you get a 8 twist barrel and you can shoot 75 to 90 grain bullets. You can 3300 fps pretty easy with the 80 grain pills. The a-max kill ground hogs and deer with authority. This is not a tinker toy it is a legit 1000 yard round. Dies are not a big deal. Seating die ream a 22 br either forster or redding. And i can make you a full length sizer. I would buy a newlon bushing sizer blank for $50 and ream it. The 22 dasher is a very good comprise in 22 cal and is hard to beat. The 22-243 ackley is a very fast round and accurate but is is over kill for most target shooting. E-mail me or call if you have any questions. Cell 724-366-1989 Reed

Just in case you are still looking for dies...Redding does have 22 dasher dies in stock. They do make them,you don't have to order them custom. Hope this helps you out!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.