6mm Dasher

Dont forget your mag kits for the BR, BRA, BRX, and dasher.

I would personally choose BR if you are going this route. No fireforming. Alpha dasher brass is hit or miss with availability. Dasher brass can be a pain to fireform if you have never fireformed brass before. Chamber specs from barrel to barrel will cause brass issues swapping back and fourth. Hydroformed brass is around $2 a piece.The dasher is burning barrels out 1800-2000 rounds. BR is stretching 2500 rounds. 2950-3000 FPS is a node with dasher. 2800-2850 is a node in BR both with 105s. I am currently waiting on a BRA reamer to get cut. I have an old 6CM barrel that will get set back to BRA. That will be used in one day matches for fireforming. A new barrel will be cut to run in two day matches. Jam the bullets and shoot. If you fail to jam the bullet on a dasher, you will pierce primers and ruin brass.

Thank you all for the wealth of information provided and all of your suggestions. Considering my max range of under 600yds the 6mmBR probably makes more sense and will provide a few things that I was looking for:

1) accuracy
2) ease of brass prep
3) extended barrel life

I was considering an 8" twist to shoot the 105-107 class bullets. Is there any benefit to choosing a slower twist & using lighter match bullets for shooting 400-600yds?

Jam the bullets and shoot. If you fail to jam the bullet on a dasher, you will pierce primers and ruin brass.
I disagree with this. I have shot Dashers a lot and don't jam and never have pierced a primer. If you are piercing primers (with a 700 Rem action) have the bolt bushed and the firing pin turned to .062". GreTan and others can perform this operation at a reasonable fee. I had a sweet shooting 6 BR pierce a primer. After having the bolt bushed and firing pin turned the problem was solved. All of my 700 Rem bolts are bushed and pins turned. The last one I had modified was a .223. The primers were cratered badly prior to the modification. They look perfect now.

I do jam the bullets for fireforming. Perhaps fireforming is what you were talking about?

Last edited:
I disagree with this. I have shot Dashers a lot and don't jam and never have pierced a primer. If you are piercing primers (with a 700 Rem action) have the bolt bushed and the firing pin turned to .062". GreTan and others can perform this operation at a reasonable fee. I had a sweet shooting 6 BR pierce a primer. After having the bolt bushed and firing pin turned the problem was solved. All of my 700 Rem bolts are bushed and pins turned. The last one I had modified was a .223. The primers were cratered badly prior to the modification. They look perfect now.

I do jam the bullets for fireforming. Perhaps fireforming is what you were talking about?

How do you form? false shoulder? If you don't have any resistance on the case, it will be pushed forward and not fully formed. We run custom actions.

How do you form? false shoulder? If you don't have any resistance on the case, it will be pushed forward and not fully formed. We run custom actions.
At the bottom of my post I edited that I jam the bullets for fireforming. Probably not as good as the false shoulder method, but it works. Never pierced a primer in hundreds of fireformings. I do get a couple of split case shoulders per 100 cases formed.
I purchased some Norma Dasher brass a few months ago and trimmed the necks back to use in my Lapua chambered Dashers but I have not fired any of them yet.

At the bottom of my post I edited that I jam the bullets for fireforming. Probably not as good as the false shoulder method, but it works. Never pierced a primer in hundreds of fireformings. I do get a couple of split case shoulders per 100 cases formed.
I purchased some Norma Dasher brass a few months ago and trimmed the necks back to use in my Lapua chambered Dashers but I have not fired any of them yet.

gotcha. I didn't see the edit. We had problems if they weren't jammed. If they were barely touching, there was a chance we were gonna pierce primers.

I've only got 350 rounds on my Dasher which is set up to run the Norma brass. So far so good. It's a hunting gun and I wanted as little brass prep as possible. Not sure if it's as strong as Lapua, but for what I'm doing it should be ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.