6mm-06 fireforming to precision loading?

270yotekiller

I plan on building a 6mm-06 and haven't been able to find tested loading information that i can trust, they say use 240WBY loading data but then "good starting point" doesnt sound too safe...help please!

Load data for the 6mm-284 is much more common and will work great for the 6-06. Start in the middle somewhere with your powder charge.

Didn't one of the old NOsler or Sierra Manuals have the 6-06 in there? I can't remember. I don't look at them much anymore. I have the burn rate charts memorized and I just look at case capacity to bullet weight ratio of the case I'm working with and make my own manual in my head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Even a 240Wby has freebore such that it is nearly impossible to get to the lands. Using that data with a bullet seated any where close to the lands may get you in trouble in a hurry. If you should decide to use 240 Wby data do it with a light short bullet seated deep in the neck and then when you understand things move on up to heavier bullets. I wound up using a cleaning rod to tap cases out of my 240 Wby chamber on Sunday because a little more powder and a lot more outside air temperature got me in trouble in a hurry.

I have a couple of old manuals and will look to see tonight if I can find a 6mm-06

270yotekiller,

I have a customer that I built one of these rifles for and he has tested the HELL out of it with everything from 55 gr Ballistic tips at 4400 fps to 105 gr A-Max's at 3500 fps.

He posts here under the call sign "Hvyw8t". He does not list his e-mail on his profile but if you send me an e-mail at [email protected] I will get you his e-mail. He can offer more tested load data then anyone else I know on the round.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I load 55gr retumbo with cci 250 mag primer 115VLD berger speeds of 3270. Hart rifle barrel 30" 1-7 twist.shooting in the .750 @200 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.