6brguy

old fart

old fart here - who are you using for your long gun work - would assume your gun smith has had lots of experience with long range requirements . I hope you can help - thanks

right now i use billy stevens at stevens accuracy, for barrel work[everything else i do myself]he is excellent and professional and a man of his word.why do u ask?-dave

6brguy - thanks - looking for somebody local - denver area - have a barrel to set back and rechamber (223) - muzzle brake 338 , 300 and a new barrel and chamber 6.5/284 - just things I'd like to get done this winter , been 20 yrs since I've needed a smith - thanks

i have never use dthe school,actually never even thought about it.i was using gary alvey in grand jct.,but he is out of the smith biz now.i always tried to stay local as well[it just seems easier that way],but bill shehane referred me to billy and he is a great smith as well as a great guy,between myself and a friend we have three 6.5-284's,chambered by him and they all shoot very well,and i mean VERY WELL.i was looking for a local smith but now i have just accepted the fact that i will have to send out of state to get the quality i want.there seem to be alot guys calling themselves "gunsmiths" here in co. but i wouldnt even trust them to adjust a trigger[not that i need the help]but i think u get the point.actually right now im thinking about sendind some work to chris matthews for a 300wsm. project-good luck-dave

thanks - I think I'll try to get a hold of some of the bench rest guys and see who does what - local - I heard about someone around Greeley - maybe I'll take a ride down to the trade school and talk some .Thanks again

6brguy - about that 6.5/284 - I understand theres a couple of versions of this , which one are you using - norma, shehane - not sure of the differences - thanks

im using the norma version and i love it,honestly dont remember the differences,the norma is the most simple way to go-so thats what i did-my-2-dave

Old Fart
If you go to the school ask for Joe Jordan if you want guarrenteed work. School's fine, but it's kinda of a crap shoot if an "A" student or a "D" student does it. Joe is a part time instructor there, good smith and a **** good shooter plus my good friend. He's typically there 8 to noon.
Chris

Chris - thanks for the tip - a couple of the guys I shot with in the national guard went their to become armorers, but moved away - of course thats been a few years ago - anyway I'll look him up - Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts