6500 or Conquest, Nikon

Thank you. I read the first two articles. I noticed the author's scope of choice in the first article are the Bushnell Elite 4200 series, which have the exact turrets I was referring to. He also speaks highly of the Nikon ATB as an excellent Japanese brand. Current ATBs are made in China and generally suck, IMHO. Vortex Vipers are MUCH superior and are made in Japan.

While I've not long range hunted. I have shot accurately to 1050 yards with a .308 (FN SPR 1st Gen with Federal GMM 175, topped with a Nikon Tac 2.5-10x44) and have had formal training at Central Virginia Tactical. I also got my "start" at Sniper's Paradise and Sniper's Hide, and am the sole vendor for another long range shooting site. I know "a little" bit about the long range stuff, and more importantly about optics that do and don't work in my experience.

All you are doing with the long range hunting is applying long range principles that competitive shooters and snipers use and shooting at live critters instead of targets or people. I would believe that for the most part the optics translate well. The exception is, for some, the rig is carried all day in the woods and weight is a consideration. I find it interesting that Jerry referred to the long range hunter as shooting from "a hide" and thus has time to put in ear plugs so not having a muzzle brake on the rifle is not desired. So, it seems long range hunting attempts to mimic sniping practices, but for game animals. Would that be a correct assessment?

It is true that the rifle/ammo/scope technology has advanced so dramatically in the last few years I am in danger of not being current. The wildcat cartidges Jerry refers too are simply Greek to me!

You're right, my primary mission here is to sell optics, but I'm not afraid to speak my mind/voice my opinion either. There are PLENTY of other optics vendors here you can patronize, many who do not shoot or have ever picked up a gun, nor care about shooting or our gun culture. The wonderful thing is, you have a choice!

Thanks,

Scott

I like having my turrets covered with a cap. It takes @ 3-4 seconds for me to get each one off. If I bump it on a branch, then I do not worry if it has changed my zero, due to a slight turn of the turret. With exposed target turrets how long does it take to see if your turret knob has been moved and add to it the time it takes to set it back to zero. It will be about the same 3-4 seconds or longer, I would think.

As a side note, last week I bought my first scope in almost ten years,. Let me tell ya, I was giddy inside when I took the turret cap off and seen knurled knobs. This to me was one great improvement for hunters. This means I do not need to carry around a quarter anymore.

I like mildot scopes for simple hold over. Ranging with them is not particularly hard either, especially on days when the range find will not range. I always like to have a backup plan. Most people rely solely on gadgets and forget the fundamentals when it comes to hunting.

Of course I am no expert, these are just my opinions and thoughts. I'll take fundamentals and logic over gadgets, every day of the week. There are pros and cons to every decision we make. You weigh it out and decide what is best for YOU!

John

Last edited:
Shooting at distant rocks in the high NV desert. Two rifles two scopes Cooper Mod 22 22-250AI RRAs AR-15 223 Scopes were two of Bushnells elites 6500 and 4200. Couldn't get a reading with range finder. Rock I bet was 600+ yards. Resting on the bed of my truck after serious scope adjustment I was able to hit little rocks with both rifles. So chalk one up for the elites.

I have a 6.5 x 20 x 50 Zeiss Conquest on a rifle that I have taken many head of game with at varying distances. The turrets on these scopes have proven very reliable and accurate out to 850 yards for me. The only thing with the Zeiss is that they have a little bit smaller field of view, if that matters to you, it doesn't for me as I only pick a hair.

I had planned on getting a 6500 due to the higher magnification but do not like the turrets. They just plain suck compared to the Zeiss or the Bushnell 4200 6x24x50 30mm.

SNIP

I had planned on getting a 6500 due to the higher magnification but do not like the turrets. They just plain suck compared to the Zeiss or the Bushnell 4200 6x24x50 30mm.

I am curious about this statement.

Is it that they don't track, or what is your reasoning?

edge.

I have a 6.5 x 20 x 50 Zeiss Conquest on a rifle that I have taken many head of game with at varying distances. The turrets on these scopes have proven very reliable and accurate out to 850 yards for me. The only thing with the Zeiss is that they have a little bit smaller field of view, if that matters to you, it doesn't for me as I only pick a hair.

Yes Freebore please explain I have a 6500 and I think the turrents ROCK ! They track very well.

Put me in the Target Turret camp for a long rang hunting rig. I have had no issues at all with exposed turrets, but I have only used Nightforce and S&B on rough country hunts.

ElkHuntNewMexico2008062.jpg

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

I have even crack my stock and still have have not had a single problem with exposed turrets

ElkHuntNewMexico2008058.jpg

Put the 2 scopes beside each other, a 6500 and a Zeiss Conquest MC. The turrest on the Zeiss are larger, easier to read than the turrets on the 6500. Don't get me wrong about the scope glass in the 6500. It is very nice. I have a friend who bought one before I did (thanks go to him). He had to show it to me right away as any good friend would do to any huntin' bud. I don't like the readings (markings) or the shorter turrets compared to the Zeiss.
Hope this explains why I said the turrets suck IMHO on the 6500?.
If it was available with 'nicer' turrets and a simple duplex reticule (4.5x30 only available w/mil dots last time I checked) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But if I'm laying out $$$ I'd like to to get what I want not just what's available. I'll wait and see what happens to the turrets.

Put me in the Target Turret camp for a long rang hunting rig. I have had no issues at all with exposed turrets, but I have only used Nightforce and S&B on rough country hunts.

I have even crack my stock and still have have not had a single problem with exposed turrets

That is a HUGE box magazine sticking out from under that rifle, please tell what caliber that is??

Put the 2 scopes beside each other, a 6500 and a Zeiss Conquest MC. The turrest on the Zeiss are larger, easier to read than the turrets on the 6500. Don't get me wrong about the scope glass in the 6500. It is very nice. I have a friend who bought one before I did (thanks go to him). He had to show it to me right away as any good friend would do to any huntin' bud. I don't like the readings (markings) or the shorter turrets compared to the Zeiss.
Hope this explains why I said the turrets suck IMHO on the 6500?.
If it was available with 'nicer' turrets and a simple duplex reticule (4.5x30 only available w/mil dots last time I checked) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But if I'm laying out $$$ I'd like to to get what I want not just what's available. I'll wait and see what happens to the turrets.

I like variety in my gun safe so I was seriously considering a Zeiss 6.5x20x50MM .Now you say glass is equal between the elties and the Zeiss? I wear glasses and I'm not rich maybe wouldn't be able to tell the difference.I've looked threw German glass scopes before and I didn't see a $1,000 difference.... Hey the Elite 4.5x30x50MM does come in standard duplex.

Nice Dunn
Poor Reins
Nice Horn Wrap - in case that big gun won't do the job and ya have ta rope it.;)
My Kinda Crack Patch
Decent Elk
Good Hunt

I'm withya on the exposed turrets.

My only complaint w/my Zeiss is that the Elevation hash mark is just a schose askew. Drives me nuts. There's one click between ends........

I like variety in my gun safe so I was seriously considering a Zeiss 6.5x20x50MM .Now you say glass is equal between the elties and the Zeiss? I wear glasses and I'm not rich maybe wouldn't be able to tell the difference.I've looked threw German glass scopes before and I didn't see a $1,000 difference.... Hey the Elite 4.5x30x50MM does come in standard duplex.

Iron Worker,
I said it was 'nice' glass in 6500's not saying it was equal with the German glass. The glass in my Zeiss is great. You need to look thru one in the dark hours of the night. I thing that the 6500's are very 'nice' scopes and would like to own one due the power range on them. BUT I don't like the turrets. Granted you usually have time to dial up carefully when taking long range shots so you could spend the extra time needed to try and get (my) trifocals focused on the smaller turrets dials/hash marks.
I have a 6.5x25x50 30mm LRT and would like to replace it with the 6500. But why if I'm going to be frustrated with the turrets. Looking thru the 6500 I think its brighter than my Leupold. Ain't it a bitch we have all these great scopes available know.
I did not know that the 6500 has become available with just a straight duplex. Let's face it most of us folks that can shoot longer ranges while hunting still like to get within 500. The best we could do on the N.Platte this year in Wy. was 450yrds. for antelope (nothing but alfalfa field).

My Zeiss has the same issue of being off a 1/2 has mark too. Doesn't bother me though.

IF, the difference is 1000, then does someone make custom turrets?

Couldn't you get a "gunwerks" type turret made?
Personally, I like the "best of the west" type turret. Even though it is for a specific elevation and temp., a simple conversion would make it usable for all elevations and temps. You are running your PDA anyway, why not convert the distance to the local conditions at the same time?

edge.

That is a HUGE box magazine sticking out from under that rifle, please tell what caliber that is??

The rifle is a 338 Lapua built on a Rem-700 action and fitted with a Seekins detachable 5 round box magazine a 3 rounder will be avaible soon, I believe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.