637 yard groundhog with an AR-15????...huh?

I have always wanted a 260 Rem AI I suppose!

Jim Caudill, The Mauser Man

or as we affectionately call him

Mr. CONCENTRICTY....the man knows how to build rifles that consistently shoot.

What barrel contour did you use on the 6.5x61 and does Jim Caudill still have the 6.5x61 reamer? Also did you sell all the 6.5x61 brass and dies? If not can I buy the from you?

You didn't get rid of you'r super did you!!! fill us in what happened.

Hey Bob,

Well, the Super was Super, in fact, if Jim hadn't put the bug in my ear about the 260AI I probably would have kept it..lol

I parted out the rifle to help fund the 260AI.

The 6.5x61Super was indeed a special rifle, essentially a 7mm Rem Mag necked down to 6.5mm.

Quickloads showed that I could have gotten 3,275 fps with a 139 gr. Lapua Scenar.

However, I had downloaded it to around 3,050 fps when I shot it.

I have since switched to 95 gr. VMAX in my 260AI. I stopped shooting Long Range Steel, essentially why I had the Super in the first place. I never shot the shorter 95 gr. VAMX in the Super, so I suppose I couldn't say how she would have done.

Now, I have a 22-250AI all paid for, just waiting for Jim to finish her up!

What barrel contour did you use on the 6.5x61 and does Jim Caudill still have the 6.5x61 reamer? Also did you sell all the 6.5x61 brass and dies? If not can I buy the from you?

Crist,

Yeah no problem, I sent you a PM for the details.

Dave Kiff from PT&G made me the reamer, Jim C. has the reamer [I gave it to him] and he has only used it once to do my rifle.

I have (100) Virgin 7x61Super Brass [of which you cannot find anymore)

Also, some brass that was shot and reloaded = about 90 or so.

Sizing dies, Benchrest Seater, etc.

Note: the Super has a custom 42 degree Ackley Shoulder = these babies NEVER GROW!

Primer Pockets are still tight after 6 reloads!

I was wondering what barrel contour you use on the 6.5x61? Also I am planning on PM you in a couple of days about buying the 6.5x61 components but I have plenty of time because Jim cannot build me a rifle until May. Oops I forgot to ask you why you quit shooting long range matches? Did you have a fallout with thunder valley? Are you still a member of his?

Thanks Crist

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.