6 PRC gun build help

cb4128

I've been looking at a fast 6mm for a while now and finally got my hands on 300 of the 115gr berger vld's. The purpose of this rifle is pronghorn, coyotes and general fun long range shooting - no high volume shooting at all.

***I need some help on advice on twist rate for the speeds I'm expecting. Berger lists the recommended twist rate for this bullet as 1-7, which when I run the numbers on 3,450 fps (pretty realistic I think) that lines up correctly.

All of the barrels I can find are 1-7.5 twist. So, I can either shoot the 105 berger vld's around 3,600 fps (which may be too much speed and risk explosions on impact) or be borderline on the twist with the 115's and maybe run them fast enough to stabilize them?

The other thought I had was to run an 8 twist, which a lot of guys are doing, and run 90gr accubonds really fast - 3,700-3,800 fps. Hopefully they would hold together at those speeds? Makes me wonder if excellent accuracy is attainable with that much powder and that small of a bullet...

I live in Texas at 600 ft elevation but hunt in South Texas at 0 ft elevation often - and I will hunt pronghorn in NM at 4,000ft yearly with this rig.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

I've been looking at a fast 6mm for a while now and finally got my hands on 300 of the 115gr berger vld's. The purpose of this rifle is pronghorn, coyotes and general fun long range shooting - no high volume shooting at all.

***I need some help on advice on twist rate for the speeds I'm expecting. Berger lists the recommended twist rate for this bullet as 1-7, which when I run the numbers on 3,450 fps (pretty realistic I think) that lines up correctly.

All of the barrels I can find are 1-7.5 twist. So, I can either shoot the 105 berger vld's around 3,600 fps (which may be too much speed and risk explosions on impact) or be borderline on the twist with the 115's and maybe run them fast enough to stabilize them?

The other thought I had was to run an 8 twist, which a lot of guys are doing, and run 90gr accubonds really fast - 3,700-3,800 fps. Hopefully they would hold together at those speeds? Makes me wonder if excellent accuracy is attainable with that much powder and that small of a bullet...

I live in Texas at 600 ft elevation but hunt in South Texas at 0 ft elevation often - and I will hunt pronghorn in NM at 4,000ft yearly with this rig.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Did you end up doing the 6 PRC build? How has it treated you?

You can run 115s out of a 1-8 with no issues at the speeds you'll be pushing.

I run 112's out of a 1-8" 6-284 with no problems. But, i'm also at 4500'.

Running the OPs numbers thru the Berger stability calculator. The 115 is marginally stable @ 1.38 where the OP lives at 600' elev. 1-7.5 is recommended.

Where he hunts @ 4000' the bullet is fully stable @ 1.57 with a 1-8.

I'd personally grab the 1-7.5 & rock on. I'm kind of curious if the 115 can hold together at 3400fps out of a 1-7.5.

t

I'd personally grab the 1-7.5 & rock on. I'm kind of curious if the 115 can hold together at 3400fps out of a 1-7.5.
That's 326,000 RPM. I am running .224 cal 90gr bergers at a similar rpm and when the throat gets to dirty it starts spitting jackets off.
I know @orkan is working on a 6mm PRC Primal. (it's a PRC improved) he likely has some input on this topic

That's 326,000 RPM. I am running .224 cal 90gr bergers at a similar rpm and when the throat gets to dirty it starts spitting jackets off.
I know @orkan is working on a 6mm PRC Primal. (it's a PRC improved) he likely has some input on this topic

That's exactly why I asked. I pushed the 112 Match Burners over 3400 & some didn't make it to the target....

t

Mine likes to run between 3400-3450 with 105 hybrid, 107smk, 109 eldm in a 24" 8 twist. I'm less than 1k feet ASL for what it's worth.

TS customs just built me a 6PRC I'm running a 1-9 twist barrel with 90gr Sierra game changers at 3800 with RL26 getting very good results and great accuracy.
IMO and that's all it is, If your gonna run a 90gr go all the way down to 22 cal and run them faster, or run the 115gr 6mm to have a tiny advantage.

Calculators dont take into consideration throat wear.
A bullet is either stable or not, ive shot alot of 1.4 and all shot great and made it to target fine.
Even all the way down to 1.2 on my 20BRA.

TS customs just built me a 6PRC I'm running a 1-9 twist barrel with 90gr Sierra game changers at 3800 with RL26 getting very good results and great accuracy.
Hey @Brentlyh

I am looking to build a new hunting rifle capable of long range on Sheep, deer and antelope. I'm trying to decide between a 6mm Creedmoor and a 6 PRC. I plan to run a 20" barrel with suppressor. I noticed you've run a 6 PRC a decent amount. Couple of questions:
How's the recoil on it compared to say a 6.5 Creedmoor?
Any regret having to hand load, vs ability to buy Hornady ELD m ammo for 6 Creedmoor?
Is the extra horsepower to run above 3000 fps with heavy bullets from a short barrel worth the trade offs in your opinion?
Any other things I should consider?
Appreciate any insights you're able to share, thanks!