6 Hunters successful in the first Virginia Elk Lottery

Was born in Grundy Va. What part of Va. Are the elk in? Haven't been there sense the 9th grade. Father was killed in one of his mines, mother moved us out of coal mining, didn't want me growing up working in the mine industry.

Was born in Grundy Va. What part of Va. Are the elk in? Haven't been there sense the 9th grade. Father was killed in one of his mines, mother moved us out of coal mining, didn't want me growing up working in the mine industry.
It's Buchanan County area. I grew up in Virginia and joined military 1 month out of High School and stayed for 28 years. My, my, my how time flies.

I see that County is where you grew up. Couple other counties are included and elk can be taken in surrounding counties and counted towards deer tags.
"In All Areas Outside of Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise counties:
Any elk (bull, cow, or calf) can be taken on any day of an open deer season (archery, muzzleloader, or firearms) in the county/locality in which the individual is hunting. Legal weapons for taking elk coincide with legal weapons for deer during that specific season except that elk may not be taken with a slingbow or air rifle. Reporting requirements for elk are the same as those for deer, but the animal should be reported as an elk. Successful elk hunters must call (804) 367-0044 to schedule a time for collection of biological samples."

Yeah, grandmother lived in Tazwell County, accross from the country club. spent my summers there being a caddie. Which i hated. Cool, that's some rugged country. Either up or down. Spent my youth scouring those mtns. Looking for copper from the mines and gen sang to sell. I thought we were poor. But looking back my father and grandfather owned several mines. So we were rich compared to other people there. But all the kids played together and ate at each other's tables. We just all thought we were poor. Glad to see elk there.There wasn't any deer there back then, late fiftys and sixtys. Just squirrel and some pheasant. Wasn't until we moved to Alabama that I saw my first deer.

Last edited:
Yeah, grandmother lived in Tazwell County, accross from the country club. spent my summers there being a caddie. Which i hated. Cool, that's some rugged country. Either up or down. Spent my youth scouring those mtns. Looking for copper from the mines and gen sang to sell. I thought we were poor. But looking back my father and grandfather owned several mines. So we were rich compared to other people there. But all the kids played together and ate at each other's tables. We just all thought we were poor. Glad to see elk there.
I hope sooner than later the Elk will migrate east as I have some property in Brunswick County.