My first elk hunt ...was a success!

Nice work and congrats on a great hunt !! There's nothing like being in the Mountains in the Fall for elk. Magic.

I traveled to Colorado for my first elk hunt this last November. I hunted the third rifle season on public land in unit 78. We were on elk on day 1 and 3. Day 2 we were close but couldn't get a visual. On the 5th day of the hunt this Bull and I crossed paths. He's not a trophy by trophy elk standards but it sure made my hunt of a lifetime an even better one. The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!
A really nice elk and beautiful pictures. Congratulations

I traveled to Colorado for my first elk hunt this last November. I hunted the third rifle season on public land in unit 78. We were on elk on day 1 and 3. Day 2 we were close but couldn't get a visual. On the 5th day of the hunt this Bull and I crossed paths. He's not a trophy by trophy elk standards but it sure made my hunt of a lifetime an even better one. The best part is enjoying a freezer full of meat. It was the most demanding but fun hunt I had ever been on. The pain in my legs from backpacking the meat out only last a short while but the memories will last forever. I plan to go back this year and if nothing else, the hiking and scenery is awesome!

I got mine 2 years ago in Northern NM on the first day out. Thought about waiting but said Nope no guarantee I would see another. I would do it again in heart beat

Great bull man!

CONGRATS!!!!!

Congrats! Elk hunt is dream of mine. Did you go with a guide or just head out and camp in the wilderness? Any recommendations on an economical way to go on an elk hunt?

Congrats! Elk hunt is dream of mine. Did you go with a guide or just head out and camp in the wilderness? Any recommendations on an economical way to go on an elk hunt?

Thanks. It was a dream come true for me! I did not go with a guide or camp. I stayed at a house and drove out early every morning and started walking. I think the most expensive part of hunting is acquiring the gear and even that does not have to be expensive. I stayed on the cheap by buying used, good quality gear and not going overboard with my "wants". Classifieds and ebay isn't a bad place to start.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.