6.5x55

M03

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I wanted to get a bit of real world advice on the 6.5X55, I am in the market for a new rifle(trading in my .243) so I am looking for a calibre that has adequate velocity and energy out to 400 yards and will result in relativity quick death of game up to 300lb, taking into account proper shot placement.

I understand the benefits the 6.5X55 offers with a very high BC, SD and low recoil but will it deliver what is required for a clean kill at 400 yards with a 140 grain factory round(Norma Nosler partition)? I am also considering a .270 but I already have a 30-06 that everyone know is a very versatile round so I was hoping to choose a calibre that can be used on deer but would have the capability of been used light weight mountain rifle.

300 lbs get good with that ol 06 I like the sweed it will do no prob with better accuracy. 130 Berger vld should hammer em. The 06 with 165 gr should do it too u can go down to 150s and Ur thumping 2900 fps use a good bullet What's 300 lbs deer?

If Ur gona build a light weight mountain rifle look no further that a 7 mm 08. 120-160 gr lots of choices. Again 130 Berger can turn it into. A .270 in short order 3,000 fps 7mm drops deer and other critters quick. With sweed like accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.