Hunting bullet selection for Carl Gustaf M96 6.5x55 Swede sporter

fishoneil

Hi troops, greetings from smoky Australia. Newby here to the group and follow all the posts to get good info. I have a 6.5 Swede with a 22" barrel, 1:7.5". I am reloading for same. A question for all you deer hunters out there, looking for good info on the most consistent bullet in the 140-143gr group for taking larger deer, like big Reds, Rusa, and if I ever get back to NZ a Wapiti. Planning on launching them at around 2650 fps using Norma brass, Fed 210M and IMR4831. I have read all sorts of pros and cons re ELD-X, SST, Accubonds, Partitions, Game Kings etc. but what are your real experiences in the field for an "honest" bullet in the .264 (6.5) cal. that performs every time.
Appreciate all the advice and thanks in advance

My swede shoots anything I feed it. I like GK, AB, LRAB and lapua megas 155's. I have not shot tsx through it but they do work. I have taken game with all others mentioned though

I think you should be fine with any of those choices.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info around here.

Well I didn't include bergers on my list as I'm going away from them. I have used them out to 919 yards but you can get some dismal results. they shoot great and do kill. but I like a complete pass through that will give me a blood trail. To each his own. I used AB this year and it was like using partitions again but better. Going to TTSX in the 338-06 also. Just my two cents. I've killed 6 animals this year

Yep I've used AB's 160gr in a M70 7mm Rem previously with devastating results, may have to go that way and I am sure they will do the trick. Any advantage from AB's to LRAB's apart from the G1 BC being better, any difference in terminal performance, as here in OZ they cost 80% more than AB's. Cheers, NR

with the swede you will be ok to use them but at higher velocities they are a little explosive up close. I will test one on a doe in the next couple weeks and let you know.

Personally I would just stick to a normal shaped soft point projectiles for an ex mil rifle.

The military ammo at the time for the rifle was based on the 139gr FMJ projectile I believe.

I'd be inclined to stick with that weight range.

Also Id suggest looking up some reduced powder loads for the ex mil action.

Yes the old Mauser's are one of the best bolt actions available at the time & still now but be aware the pressure the old chambers can take are different to the modern actions!

Ive owned a few & that Swedish 6.5x55 ball ammo is actually pretty dam accurate but I wouldn't use it for hunting!

Last edited:
Thanks aushunter1, yes the loads need to be kept within the designs of the rifle, they were proofed at up to 55,000 cpu but planning to sneak up on Harvey's suggested loads with IMR4831 and around 2650 will give (as I understand) about 44,000 cpu which is way inside of the pressure capabilities of the Carl Gustaf's Swedish models. I also need to consider the "boot" from the old girl as this 75 year old shoulder won't take much these days. Going the 140 AB's I think but the Sierra Game Changer has a following also. Will need to try both to see what "really" happens. Thanks again, NR

We have folks that run the 100 gr Noslers to the EOC 156 and Round Nose 160 grain'ers... I'm a big fan it the 140 gr Nosler PT's for thick and thin skins...

Find the bullet that offers tight groups and you'll be styling...

Cheers from the North

morning, the 6.5x55 is a very accurate caliber and round. had
one. used the sierra BTHP's. 4064, 4320 and 4831 powders.
regretted selling this M-96 Mauser. if I found
one in the rem. classic I would definitely buy.
308-6.5x55 and 7x57 r best whitetail rounds.
justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.