6.5x55

Hentie

Hi
I am new to this forum and would realy appreciate the input of fellow hunters/gun owners. I am living in South Africa and have just bought myself a TIKKA T3 SPORTER in a 6.5x55. Are there anybody who can give my some advise on load development?
The intention is to use the rifle for planes game (in SA it would be spring buck, bles buck as well as red jackal). The distance would be tipically between 100 out to 300 yards.

Hello to you in SA. I've hunted down in FREESTATE, SA with my friend who lives there named Adrien Rall. I did a lot of culling with him on different ranches. . .what a place! The 6.5x55 in a modern action is a wonderful round and can be loaded much higher than what the books list. I have one in a Remington 700 with a 24" barrel and it loves the 140gr. A-max on top of 49.5gr. RL22 for 2865 fps! ! ! Not to shabby for the `ole round and just right on your size plains game out to 600 yds. You have a nice rifle there, enjoy and send some pictures.

I had two loads that worked well in my old 6.5x55. 140gr interbonds over 47.5gr H4831SC. The other load, just slightly better accuracy 129gr interlock over 37.6gr IMR 8028. Both these loads were at or better than .5moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.