6.5x55 sweed

Lonestar

I'm wanting to build a new rifle in a 6.5x55 Ive got a few doner rifles I do plan on reloading my question is is this a long or short action and would a .270 bolt and action work or is there a better cal to choose from please help

Why not a 260 or 6.5 creed?????? Both slightly outperform he Swede and are short action as the Swede is mostly built on long actions.

Anyway the Sweds head is 0.480 and the 270 is 0.473 so I would say it has to be opened a bit.

The 6.5 Swede is best used in a long action. Your .270 action would work just fine for that purpose.

Though the 6.5 Swede is one of my favorite cartridges, I would have to think that going from .270 to 6.5x55 would represent a downgrade in ballistic terms. If you are OK with that, then press on!

Is there a different cal that has the same bolt face as the 6.5 x 55 ???? I'm not at all worried about the .270 vs the 6.5x55 balistics for I mainly shoot my 7 mm I had a rem classic 6.5 ans sold it several months ago and now I wish I still had it so I'm going to build one

I think the 6.5X55 swede is a fine choice. If you want something faster a 6.5-284 would be good, you will spend more on brass, barrels and powder. Lapua brass can be had for less than 75 cents a piece in the swede compared to over a dollar for the 6.5-284.

Can I buy an action that comes with a .480 bolt or can I buy a bolt only that will fit the sweed rather than having one machined

The .480 case head of the Swede is unique. However, the difference in size between it and the standard .473 is not enough to require modifications. Your .270 action will do just fine. The only change you will have to make is to re-barrel.

I have two Swedes built on 98 mauser actions that started life as a 30-06 and an 8x57, respectively. The Swede is a straightforward build.

I just made a 6.5x55 Swede with a donor action from a 30-06 Stevens. North American brass like Winchester will have a smaller case head. I use Lapua Brass and have had on piece that was a little big and the extractor had a little difficulty getting around the case.

I have done nothing as far as opening the bolt face and I don't see the need to. The long action allows you to seat the bullets way out there if you like as well.

In the modern action I am above book maximums and am driving 130gr Accubonds at .270 WIN like velocities. However since it is a more aerodynamic bullet the trajectory should be slightly flatter and there is nothing for recoil on the gun. I've only played around with 120gr A-max as well and the can be driven very fast.

This is my FIRST build and I thank u guys for all the info I'm a big fan of the sweed and can't wait to get this build underway again thank you for the info

I've also heard that there is a diff in the brass between mfgs is this true or can I use any brass that I choose for the sweed

I just mic'd some Rem and Lapua brass. The Remington is .472/3" and the Lapua is .478. However I've been using the Lapua brass with no real issues.

Why not a 260 or 6.5 creed?????? Both slightly outperform he Swede and are short action as the Swede is mostly built on long actions.

Anyway the Sweds head is 0.480 and the 270 is 0.473 so I would say it has to be opened a bit.

Most all book recipes for the Swede are way under pressure for what a modern action can withstand. This is due to all the old actions that have been around for ages. If you load the Swede to modern specs and pressures it will outperform the 160 and Crede by a decent enough margin to be a better choice IMO.

Additionally, to get the most out of the high BC 6.5's you will want a long action. The high BC LR bullets are very long and the long action will be worth the extra carry weight and length IMO.

The Swede loaded to modern pressures is just about the perfect 6.5 cartridge IMO. Great legacy and about the perfect combination of barrel life and killing power. If I need more killing power I will likely be shooting elk or big predators in which case I will be choosing a 30 or 338 anyway. The Swede is an awesome mule deer and under cartridge out to a 1/2 mile or so.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.