6.5x55

M03

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I wanted to get a bit of real world advice on the 6.5X55, I am in the market for a new rifle(trading in my .243) so I am looking for a calibre that has adequate velocity and energy out to 400 yards and will result in relativity quick death of game up to 300lb, taking into account proper shot placement.

I understand the benefits the 6.5X55 offers with a very high BC, SD and low recoil but will it deliver what is required for a clean kill at 400 yards with a 140 grain factory round(Norma Nosler partition)? I am also considering a .270 but I already have a 30-06 that everyone know is a very versatile caliber so I was hoping to choose a calibre that can be used on deer but would have the capability of been used light weight mountain rifle.

In short, yes. From a commercial action or a surplus Carl Gustav? Nothing wrong with a quality Gustav, just have it checked over closely, work up loads carefully and adhere to published data. In a modern commercial action a fair bit more is usually safely possible. I can attest to the great terminal performance of 6.5 bullets. Specifically the 123 AMX, 140 SST and 140 Berger VLD. I have several 6.5 rifles from 6.5 Grendel to 264 Win mag. I've killed a lot of deer with them and have not had to track one yet. Of course proper shot placement means everything and is easily accomplished withy he manageable recoil and reliable terminal performance of the quality 6.5 projectiles. Have fun, be safe.

Thanks for the reply and advise it's
One thing looking at the ballisct data
And another thing using a caliber
In the field!

The 6.5x55 Swede is a great round. In a modern action you can really get a bullet moving. With a 24 inch barrel 120 gr bullets at 3000 fps and 140s at 2800 fps is easy to achieve. With the 96 Mauser and it's 29 inch barrel with loads listed in the Accurate powder data manual with Max AA 4350 charges, and these loads are under 46000 CUP which is safe for the small ring Mauser rifle. I get 3000 fps with 120 ballistic tips and Sierra SP and 2850 fps with 140 Hornady SP Interlock and Sierra SP and well under MOA accuracy. It kills 100 to 200 pound deer DRT 99% of the time out to a little over 500 yards so far for me. I have a 96 Mauser that I picked up cheap that some Bubba had started hacking on and I turned it into a nice hunting rifle and left the 29" barrel on it to get the high velocity safely.

I have been using the 130 gr Nosler Accubond bullet in my 264 Win mag and I believe it would be a one bullet does it all for most any game from Elk on down out of the 6.5x55. It flies like the Ballistic Tip and starts to open up like the Ballistic Tip but holds together like the Partition and keeps on trucking through stuff. These bullets are as long as a golf pencil and they just keep on mushrooming as they go through things.

I realize you are considering a 6.5 cartridge but you might want to think about a 25-06 Ackley Improved. No recoil & if you get a 26" barrel you are shooting a user friendly 257 Weatherby.
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.