6.5x55 Swede testimonials

A SAUM would require that he alter bolt face, but OK. Great cartridge. Actually, the Weather 6.5 RPM looks like it has great promise and it retains a .473 bolt face. Basically a stretched .284 case.
I don't know enough about his hunting situation, so he may may not need lots of HP. all of these rounds work with a good bullet and a good eye.

The 6.5 Weatherby is one I've forgotten about. Of course, they don't have the advertising budget to get a bunch of 'sponsors' to hype the heck out of it. 🤣 Ruger, Nosler, ... how many more variations do we really need to duplicate what we basically already have?

Hmm ... how much to create the 6.5SP with an ad budget to beat all the others in the marketplace and get it past the wildcat status? 🤣🤣🤣

I have had one since '89 that was a junked 1938 Husquavarna with the 18" barrel. Had the smith put on a new handle & drill tap, while I worked on the stock with some gorgeous mesquite burl for the fore end and grip cap. Shot whitetail, hogs and auodads using 129 hornady or barnes 120 x. Boom, drop. Over & over again. Needless to say I have 4 built on various mauser actions and a few on the 96/38 variety. Proven cartridge.
Latest 6.5 swede is on a Colombian mauser, less than 15 rounds through barrel.
6.5x55 buck.jpg

My hunting situation is shots 100-500 yards on deer and black bear. The Swede seems like plenty, and considering that I've gotten considerably more positive feedback on this cartridge than I was expecting, its been decided. My new Swede barrel is already on the way.
As I wrote, there's no bad choice with that round. Good luck with your build. You are in a very good situation with your choice ... because, if, at a later date, you feel you need a bit more, the change is simply a reamer away. I have a 6.5x55 CZ550 and am, myself, considering the switch to 6.5-284 or 6.5 RPM. My smith just wants me to make up my mind. But from his POV, either one is a no-brainer for him. Just ream the chamber.
Have you settled on a bullet? I've gone w 142 ablr. It was a contest with the Hornady 143eld-x but in the end went with the Nosler as it holds together better after impact. Both fly well. Hope you get some time in soon.

Happy trails.

As I wrote, there's no bad choice with that round. Good luck with your build. You are in a very good situation with your choice ... because, if, at a later date, you feel you need a bit more, the change is simply a reamer away. I have a 6.5x55 CZ550 and am, myself, considering the switch to 6.5-284 or 6.5 RPM. My smith just wants me to make up my mind. But from his POV, either one is a no-brainer for him. Just ream the chamber.
Have you settled on a bullet? I've gone w 142 ablr. It was a contest with the Hornady 143eld-x but in the end went with the Nosler as it holds together better after impact. Both fly well. Hope you get some time in soon.

Happy trails.
I chose a Brownells barrel, which had good reviews. I'll START there. My only gripe is the 9 twist. I read that the 9 is good for lighter, sub 135gr bullets. But I would've loved to found a deal on a 24-26" 8 twist for heavier 160 class pills. For what I want this gun to do, I'll probably go with something like an Accubond. Deep penetration and boat tail. We'll see. I'm undecided. I have a .270 that likes Berger VLD's but I'm yet to "test" it on a deer.

I built a 8mm, 7x57, 257 Roberts, 8mm/338 Win Mag, 6.5x55 AI all on a FN / Mauser action with a Wilson barrels and my favorite has to be the 6.5x55AI, Been shooting Staball 6.5 & 140gr Federal Fusion with great success. I live in central Pa. and this round has always preformed great for what ever critter I was after,

Not sure about twist on modern rifles, but the Mauser '96 had a 1:7.25" twist and a 4 groove barrel with a throat long enough for 160gr Ball ammo, which was then changed to the 139gr Spitzerglosh.
I am still flabbergasted that a 100 year old rifle with MILITARY ammo was so accurate.

Cheers.

Last edited:
My thinking is that the 6.5X55 is sort of a peculiar cartridge as it has a rim diameter of .480 vs. .473. No big deal until supplies of brass are terminated (lack of demand/unprofitable) or supplies of foreign brass like Lapua are cut off.

I rather have a 6.5-06 and never worry about finding brass and get another 3-4 % velocity.

I have a 96 Mauser that has performed well. when using 140 Sierra GK's, against a M1A at 385 meters . The brass disk on the starboard side of the stock indicates the bore measures 6.49 mm, condition 1(good), and has sights adjusted to hit at 100 meters using some kind of 139 grain bullet. The stock before it got beat up and soaked with grease would be real attractive, a medium colored wood, probably walnut, having evenly spaced fiddle back on rear of stock.

An interesting relic, made in 1903, and with the addition of peep sights is a good shooter rivaling the .308.

Last edited:
A 6.5-06 would be nice IF it was not a pure wildcat. And, 6.5x55 components are going to be available in Europe for a long time.

I chose a Brownells barrel, which had good reviews. I'll START there. My only gripe is the 9 twist. I read that the 9 is good for lighter, sub 135gr bullets. But I would've loved to found a deal on a 24-26" 8 twist for heavier 160 class pills. For what I want this gun to do, I'll probably go with something like an Accubond. Deep penetration and boat tail. We'll see. I'm undecided. I have a .270 that likes Berger VLD's but I'm yet to "test" it on a deer.
Well, it may turn into a gripe. I hope it doesn't disappoint. The reason the 6.5 class has come alive is the availability of high BC bullets... but they require a 1/8 twist. The original Swede Mauser was a 1/8. The two bullets I referred to won't work. The 6.5x55 won't push them fast enough to stabilize. A .264 Win Mag can.
A 130 Accubond, 123 Hornady, maybe a 140 Gameking. That gives you some .500 G1 BC candidates. Heavier, higher BC, noop. Anything lighter will definitely work and there are lots between 100 and 120 gr.
Scenars are worth a look. It's not the weight, it's the length. The 140+ spitzer boat tails, that fly so well, are long. The 160s that were the Swede's original bullet, weren't high BC, but they were long, and penetrated deep. Same with the 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, which were also loaded with a 160 RN. ..1/8 twist. Well, there you go. Your search for the perfect bullet begins.

Well, it may turn into a gripe. I hope it doesn't disappoint. The reason the 6.5 class has come alive is the availability of high BC bullets... but they require a 1/8 twist. The original Swede Mauser was a 1/8. The two bullets I referred to won't work. The 6.5x55 won't push them fast enough to stabilize. A .264 Win Mag can.
A 130 Accubond, 123 Hornady, maybe a 140 Gameking. That gives you some .500 G1 BC candidates. Heavier, higher BC, noop. Anything lighter will definitely work and there are lots between 100 and 120 gr.
Scenars are worth a look. It's not the weight, it's the length. The 140+ spitzer boat tails, that fly so well, are long. The 160s that were the Swede's original bullet, weren't high BC, but they were long, and penetrated deep. Same with the 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, which were also loaded with a 160 RN. ..1/8 twist. Well, there you go. Your search for the perfect bullet begins.
I mean, I load 123gr SST's for my Grendel, so if it likes those, my heart won't be broken. But I do hope it likes something over 135gr. We'll see.

Ok I have killed deer out to 325 yards with 140 and 142 AB. I have also used 155 Lapua megas out to 250. All I can say is it is like thors hammer. It blows reading holes through them. I would like to try TTSX now as maybe I could save a little more meat. lol

Looking at 6.5X55 brass I found some Lapua & PPU at Midway, no domestic. Should supplies be cut off from foreign lands for some reason I fear brass supplies would dry up and with the .480 rim size reforming would not be feasible.

Today I took the 96 Mauser (1903 vintage) out.. I made up some ammo with range brass, mixed Nosler & PPU, loaded with 40 grains of 4000MR, CCI 200 primers & Hornady 130 ELDM bullets. The last time that rifle fired it was about 25 years ago at 14-16 inch diameter steel at 385 meters with consecutive hits. At 100, I was about 12" high and at 300 with a hold at 6:00 on the edge of 14" steel, I hit 1-2 inches to the right of center & 2 inches high of center. The bore is bright & shiny and everything works as good as it did 117 years ago. Estimated MV about 2300 fps. Craftsmanship first rate. No load development planned.

After some thought, I think I'm going to rebarrel my Mauser 98 to 6.5x55 Swede from 8mm-06 (its current chambering). Or rather, I'll have my smith do it. I'd like to hear form people who shoot this caliber. I'm thinking of going with a 24" Heavy Sporter with a 1:8 twist for heavier pills. My goal is a lightweight (sub 8lb scoped) rifle to sling around my shoulder and walk around the deer woods. Shots out to 500 yards are possible, and I believe that setup will provide me my desired results.

I'd just like to hear from other hunters about their experience shooting game at range (over 300 years) with the Swede. I also might take this Black Bear hunting here in PA and I want to make sure it'll do the job. I currently hunt with a Savage .270 but she's a little heavy to lug around IMO (9-ish lbs scoped).

Thank you in advance.
I to have a love affair with the 6.5 X 55, my first semi-custom rifle was a Swede, I cut the barrel down to 24" replace the stock and and added a new trigger. Turn out to be a great shooter, many deer fell to the 140 grain partition and one cow elk all less than 300 yards.
I just finished my custom build a 6.5 X 55 A.I. to trek through the mountains with a 22" tube that looks like a pencil and come in with scope mounted at just over 8 lbs. If I ever change the barrel, I would go with the 1:7.5 twist instead of the 1:8 and shoot some heavier projectiles, maybe the Bergers.

I mean, I load 123gr SST's for my Grendel, so if it likes those, my heart won't be broken. But I do hope it likes something over 135gr. We'll see.
the 123SST will be fine. 140 CoreLokts will work, too. 130 VLD but doubtful the 140. Almost everyone likes the 120 Nosler BTs for your round. Don't know if you handload. Your situation is one I had ..so it kind of tripped an old switch. I bought a 6.5-06 that turned out to have a 1/9 twist. So bullet choice was a rabbithole that occupied me for a good while. My sympathies and Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.