6.5x55 Swede testimonials

Just as a side not the first 6.5x55 rifle I ever saw was one an old fellow from my church used to hunt with. It was the Swede carbine that had been sported back about the early 1960s. It had a metric measurement of barrel length that I know now was just under 18" which by the letter of the law now is against the law unless you were to go through the short barrel rifle license rout.
16" is the minimum barrel length for a non-sbr rifle

Bought a 96 engineer carbine many moons ago to rebarrel but made the mistake of shooting it, what a great little shooter! Bought a Tikka lite a couple years ago that has done everything I've asked and more. Took three critters this fall all right at 260 yards and all went to the ground right then and there. An antelope at 450 yards the first year didn't fair any better 2E095857-D366-43C5-8745-1F19A63FC9DD.jpegC558E68F-EAB4-4E76-B136-0EE30091CAB7.jpeg12A8317F-328B-4629-9842-A148D69D7EC5.jpeg

If you want to run the heavies consider an AI version of the 6.5 x55. I have a Bob Jourdan AI and it is great. I ran a 142gr bullet at 2940fps. I have 15+ firings on some Lapua brass and the primer pockets are still fine. You will be able to run a 150gr class bullet at the mid 2800's with single based powder or into the low 2900's with some of the double based options. Brass is cheap tough and, usually, plentiful.
Which dies are you using if I may ask. Thanking you in advance!!!

I use a custom Warner Tool Co. die based off the reamer print and fired brass. I had heard that Forster or Redding had a 6.5 x55 AI die but I have no clue of the reamer it is based on. The Bob Jourdan version has a bit of the body taper removed/40deg shoulder.

I cant yet comment on the terminal ballistics but my Tikka Swede is very accurate and easy to load for. I currently have Barnes 100TTSx and Hornady 120GMX loaded up to try. Hope to be able to share some White-Tail based notes this season.
Can you share the recipe for the 100TTSX load? I have Sako 6.5x55 (cousin of yours) and would like to have something I can load for that one....
Thanks in advance!

I have had one since '89 that was a junked 1938 Husquavarna with the 18" barrel. Had the smith put on a new handle & drill tap, while I worked on the stock with some gorgeous mesquite burl for the fore end and grip cap. Shot whitetail, hogs and auodads using 129 hornady or barnes 120 x. Boom, drop. Over & over again. Needless to say I have 4 built on various mauser actions and a few on the 96/38 variety. Proven cartridge.
Latest 6.5 swede is on a Colombian mauser, less than 15 rounds through barrel. View attachment 229739
Would you be willing to share your load data for the 120 Barnes?

The 6.5x55 is a pretty sweet little round with Lapua brass and good bullets available. Trouble is the load data is crap and you just have to figure out how to get the velocity right.

6.5-06ai is similar, but it pushes bullets faster and uses std bolt face, etc......I think if I did it again, I'd build my 6.5 as a 6.5-06AI.

I've been wanting a 6.5 Swede in Mannlicher stock for some **** reason myself. I look at the performance like this. The Swede launching the same bullet as a 260, 6.5CM or 6.5X47 will have the performance on game as those do. Same bullet, basically the same speed gives the same result. I say build it, millions of Scandinavia's couldn't be wrong!!!

I've been wanting a 6.5 Swede in Mannlicher stock for some **** reason myself. I look at the performance like this. The Swede launching the same bullet as a 260, 6.5CM or 6.5X47 will have the performance on game as those do. Same bullet, basically the same speed gives the same result. I say build it, millions of Scandinavia's couldn't be wrong!!!
Having owned a Steyr Pro-hunter 6.5x55 for 15 years now I can only praise it. Living in Estonia now where I have harvested dozens of large boar, roe-deer, and half a dozen moose. None went more that 50 meters most dropped on the spot. Of the 4 calibers that I own, it is by far my favourite caliber and gun.

I have Redding and CH4D (CH4D.com). From either they're called "6.5x55 Imp. 40°"
Call Redding directly, they may have them in stock. CH4D was 8 weeks lead time.
After trying both sets, I put the Redding dies up for sale but no one wanted them @$185, so took the WTS down.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.