6.5x55 brass from 270

6.5x300

Formed some brass for my M94 6.5x55 swede a while back from R-P 270 brass. Finaly got around to shooting it today and all went well. Must be less case capaciy then the Norma as I got same velocity with one grain less powder. Did get the slight swelling of the head area but got the same from win 6.5x55 brass.

The forming was fairly simple as a run through the 6.5 sizing die minus all the inside parts. Then rough cut the neck to lenth in a small chop saw. Resized with the sizing die including the sizing mandrel. Final trim and good to go. It did leave the neck walls a bit thicker but the old mausers seem to have alot of room.

I have read replies as to just buy 6.5x55 new brass. I was able to find 30-06 and 270 brass at less then $100 per thou so I had some extra.

Good shooting,

BT Sniper

I like to see guys like you thinking you way through a situation. I've been there too, but your situation is more radical than mine. I would have opted for 6mm rem or something closer, but it shows that you can make it work with what's on hand.

I use .308 Military LC Match brass for my .243 Ackley improved and I am right now preping .270 brass to become 6.5-06 Ackley Improved brass.

You're basically "wildcatting" exhisting brass for a factory chambering. Just like I've seen an older fella make .348 Win Brass from 45-70 Govt brass.

My compliments!

Dan

Thanks,

It did work good. There is some technique to getting the neck to size down without wrinkling though. Seems to much lube will cause this as just enough seems to be the key.

The ones that do wrinkle I cut for 44 AMP cases.

Good Shooting,

BT Sniper

I would suggest that you be very careful with those cases made from 270's or any 06 size at the web area case made into 6.5X55 Swede. There is a lot of difference in that size and actual chamber size. Your cases might last for a couple of firings but things could really go wrong quickly with thinning in the web by that stretching and the case could let go. Lapua brass cost more but it is the correct size and it will last and last. You really get your money's worth with it.

Lapua brass cost more but it is the correct size and it will last and last. You really get your money's worth with it.

+1 on the Lapua brass. Can't even see the 270 brass thing! 270 brass is no cheaper than "made for the caliber" 6.5x55 brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.