270 WBM brass from 7mm WBM Rem brass

I was hoping to get some help from kraky1.
Is full length sizing and checking length all that is neccessary?
Should I anneal after sizing? This is new brass.
Will neck turning be neccessary?

Thanks

Hi--all I can tell you is it worked great for me. I used hornady dies set to the shellholder and some sizing wax. I measured what I had been doing with my stoney point headspace kit and found the shoulder was exactly where it should be for my chamber. (I now have about 80 rounds sitting there with starter loads because I thought I should fireform) There's another good reason the stoney point kit is a good buy for about $40!!!! I've never annealed brass and don't think it should be necessary.
BUT BE WARNED....this brass will have considerably less case capacity than weatherby brass. I would urge that you start about 3 grains less than your old loads with weatherby brass and build up from there with a chrono. (I'll bet you'll match speeds about 2.5 grains under). And yes--you may or may not have to trim. I am getting very good runnout on this ammo and don't intend on neck turning.
MY favorite hunting loads are 72.4 I7828 under 140 swift a frames. I'm doing 3330 fps and getting 3.25" nice round groups at 300 yds. Primer pockets are only lasting about 3 reloadings at this speed--I should probably back down about .75 grain.

Kraky,

Which head space guage do you use? I have a .257 Weatherby that I have been making brass for from Winchester brand 7mm Remington brass. Some is fireformed, but most is not. I looked on the Stoney Point website for the proper guage, but it was not listed, only a note at the bottom about Weatherby cartridges.

Kraky1, Appreciate the information. I'll have a little more confidence in prepping this brass for the initial firing. Thanks

Winnie 300, I've used the Wilson case gages to set my dies. Sinclair stocks it for the 257WBM if you can't find what you want from Stoney Point.

I use the stoney point with the "E" bushing. Some people will say I'm crazy but I've found that as long as you are using a bushing that gets you somewhere near the middle of the shoulder it will give you a good comparison to a shell coming out of the chamber. I guess you could always use the system some people use and that is to leave the die about 3/4 turn above the shellholder. Then you can make small turns up or down until you get good chambering. Some people say they like to feel a little resistance of the bolt at closing....I've never liked that idea...especially for hunting ammo.

300winnie,
I dont want to hijack this post, but I couldn't find a way to contact you otherwise. Email me [email protected] and tell me all about your process for making 257 WBY brass from 7mm Rem Brass please. I just hate paying the prices WBY or Norma want for theirs. Good shootin'.....
Jim

I found 7mm wby mag brass made by remington new if anyone wants the web site let me know $23 for 50 ct.
this is what I use in my 270 wby

I just hang em out as far as the clip will handle. My favorite load is swift a frames which are real stubby. So in effect they are probably alot close to the rifling than if I loaded a plastic tipped bullet.
There could easily be .100" difference between the ogive on the a-frame vrs say a accubond so oal doesn't mean much...you just have to experiement....but I do start by hanging them out. If you are dead set on using a certain bullet and don't get the desired accuracy probably try going back about .050" from using all you clip room and see if there is a difference.

300 winnie- I was wondering I could impose on your .270/7mm resizing procedure?e-mail- [email protected] .My cases have been run through the .270 w/m die,I ran them through twice as the top of the
shoulder didn't get pushed back- and they didn't chamber. Ajusted the die down a turn , and now, the first half of each radius is very evident, and they chamber(I did each one, with two strokes on the second run-turning the shell
180 deg between strokes.
Thanks -

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.