6.5x47

mo

I was working up max powder charges for my 6.5x47 and had a little mishap. I had already worked up for rel 15 and a berger 130 vld so I wanted to see what charge would be max for varget. I'm shooting 130 coated vld's. I loaded 40 grains of Varget, and shot over a chronograph. Everything was perfect! I moved up to 41 grains, and shot over chronograph, and got a reading of 3180 had a light bolt lift, but it disintegrated the primer!!!

Now I knew 40 was good so I loaded up 3 more at 41, and everything was perfect my chronograph reading was 3169, 3175, and 3180. What do you think caused the primer to disintegrated like that????? Also to note the one that blew the primer pocked had stretch so far that it would not hold another primer, but the other 3 shot at 41 were tight and snug.

I think the question here is why would you try 41 gr. again after disintegrating a primer? I would have called it quits right there and counted my prayers!

-X3M

I was thinking someone might answer my question!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your response dude!!!!!

I think the question here is why would you try 41 gr. again after disintegrating a primer? I would have called it quits right there and counted my prayers!

-X3M
For your answer, because 40 was perfectly fine, and I know 41 would have not blown the primer when 40 showed no sign of pressure. Must have been a bad piece of brass. I don't really know. Thought someone might have a reason.

Ain't it fun when the pig pile starts?

How full is the case? I know if a case is not nearly full it can cause pressure spikes. But I am guessing that you are pretty close to full. Did the round that pressured out get hot before firing? Also some powders can seem to run fine right up to the point of too hot, and then they go way over pressure. Also the Lapua brass will tend not to show the classic pressure signs until you are too hot.

Don't know if any of these are your situation, but worth looking into. Take care.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.