6.5x300 Weatherby Projectiles

Chris Terra

New here so apologize if this posts twice. I'm in the process of gathering components to load for this new caliber of mine. I'm thinking of developing two loads. One with a heavier bullet for hunting and a lighter bullet for coyote\targets around the ranch. I'll be using US869 and maybe try some H1000. Which two bullets\grains would you recommend for these two loads?

Ooops, I read you were gathering parts for a new rifle. If it's factory 1-9" is likely what it has.

I'd load the 121 Hammer for every thing.

I can't find it in my notes, but we have a 6.5 Ultracat in process. I think Steve (Hammer) is using the Ramshot LRT, and liking it.

He's used the US869 in this type of case with erratic results. Just a thought.

Ooops, I read you were gathering parts for a new rifle. If it's factory 1-9" is likely what it has.

I'd load the 121 Hammer for every thing.

I can't find it in my notes, but we have a 6.5 Ultracat in process. I think Steve (Hammer) is using the Ramshot LRT, and liking it.

He's used the US869 in this type of case with erratic results. Just a thought.
Most load data I can find has 869 as the "best" choice. What other would you recommend?

I'm kind of watching from the sidelines on this one. Steve has worked more with large capacity, small bore cartridges. My recollection is with the US869, temperature sensitivity, and other issues cropped up.
I'd call Steve, at Hammer Bullets, (406) 261 0010, he's very available, and approachable. You don't have to buy the bullets, and he can give you a more intelligent answer on which powders he's having success with.

If it's a Weatherby it has 8" twist. Waiting to see if we can make Berger 156s or Atip from Hornady shoot well
The throat on the one is seen but not shot has a long throat
Also going to try Ramshot LRT and RL33

.......If it's a Weatherby it has 8" twist. Waiting to see if we can make Berger 156s or Atip from Hornady shoot well
The throat on the one is seen but not shot has a long throat Also going to try Ramshot LRT and RL33.......

1-8" would be great, opens a few more possibilities. 1-9" is what I found on the first thing that popped up (Wikipedia).

Weatherby would be surprising if it didn't have a l-o-n-g throat LOL!

I use a lot of US869 in a 6.5x338 RUM improved with the 160gr bullets. With the 150 and lighter bullets you could look at Rl33, Retumbo, IMR7828ssc or Ramshot Magnum. H50 BMG and V 20n29 are worth looking at too.

2 bullets come to mind, 129gr ABLR for yotes and 142gr ABLR for everything else.
I use the 142gr ABLR for long shots and the 140gr AB for all other shooting in my 264WM.
Another goodie is the 140gr RDF bullet if pointes and tip trimmed. Very similar to Berger in performance, but need at least 1:8.5" twist.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.