6.5x300 Weatherby Mag - Dialed in...

I personally am a fast and flat guy. So I am contrary to many here (sometimes). My decision making on this subject really comes down to exactly what your expectation of the rifle set up is. What distance do you expect to hunt realistically? Once this question is fully ironed out you can look at what a bullet will offer before you try to see if it will shoot well or not. Depending on how far out your desire to hunt is, point blank range is a realistic consideration. In other words how far you can shoot a game animal and not have to make any adjustment to your aim point and still land in the 5" kill radius. Point blank range is what I think this rifle platform was intended for. Us long range guys look at its potential to extend range. The increased vel comes at a cost of barrel life and most of the pure long range guys consider the extra couple hundred yards gained is not worth the lack of life. I personally find fast rifles to be fun.

With all that said you may have found a combo that will do everything that you want.

Steve

Steve... good stuff… thanks for the input…

I haven't really laid out my thoughts for the forum on that… what's "your expectation of the rifle set up"?

So, basically this rifle will be used for long-range hunting conditions up to 1000 yards, with realistic distances between 500 and 800 yards for my antelope hunts, and closer distances for white-tail and mule deer out to 300 or more… with that said, if the once-in-lifetime 230 class WT steps out at 763 yards, and doesn't come in, I know I'll have the nearly perfect setup of maximum velocity, without scarifying accuracy and the WT is a few simple clicks on my turret.

Although I may have already found that combo, I feel I need to do some more testing to confirm the 130/Retumbo combo. And maybe there's a 140gr that's better…

Your point is well taken… what's "your expectation of the rifle set up"… ringing steel, or filling the freezer!

I'm in agreement, fast is fun, but I'll give up velocity if it gains in accuracy and extents the life a bit… all be it a small bit…

But also my intent is to pass on information so others can make their decisions when looking for the right combination of bullet/charge for this caliber... the road map I used stopped short of defining what "most accurate" meant... what does that mean... to most, it falls within those [FONT=&quot]1 ½[/FONT] groups... but the articular never said and that's fine for most.

Last edited:
My 6.5-300 loves 143 eld-x's and Retumbo. Best group to date is .320" @3445. I was going to try the 147 m's but I figured why bother.....

Also had good luck with the 143 ELDX and Retumbo. Not running them hot, 3250 fps, consistently at .25-.3 MOA. Didn't see the need to push them in harder.

Thank you both for posting to the thread... after the 130/Retumbo group I shot, I was thinking why bother testing anything else, so I didn't shot my 143/Retumbo test loads.

But feel I need to test these 143/Retumbo test loads... thanks!

PMs sent...

Total newb here but if it was my rifle I would check my dope and call it good and save the barrel. For the game you described, this setup should be more than lethal if you can put them where they belong. It may not be warranted but my fear on these super over bore cartridges is that once I get through load development and a little practice it's time for a new barrel.

Dukguy... thanks for the input, I completely agree with your comment about saving the barrel... that said, I still have to chrono this load to get the muzzle velocity to make that dope... (that's the only easy way I know to do that)... so I figure while running 4 more rounds down range to verify they'll repeat and collect the Doppler data, I'll test some heavier 140+ loads...

140 AccuBonds 4 rounds
143 ELD-X 4 rounds
140 VLD 4 rounds
124 Hammer Hunter 4 rounds

And if I can't get these other rounds to preform close to what I have, I'm taking your advice and the 130/Retumbo to the bank!

I'm planning to shoot over Memorial Day weekend, and post test results shortly after...

Last edited:
Attached are the other groups mentioned in my test loads, plus the factory 127 Barnes... I felt like I should show these results since I'll be doing a few more rounds of testing... thoughts?!

Attachments

• Factory.jpg
    Factory.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 521
  • 130_US869.jpg
    130_US869.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 140_US869.jpg
    140_US869.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 143_US869.jpg
    143_US869.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
I would not let others talking you in to chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I probably would not have chosen the 130 but if it shoots run with it. Again barrel life is too short on this cartridge to be messing around.

Parshal...

Very nice... very similar results... thank you for sharing! My load was:

130grNAB/73gr Retumbo;
OAL 3.51

Barrel Length is 26' plus muzzle break

I think he's was exactly 26", too. If the brass wasn't so expensive and having to buy dies I'd chamber a spare 6.5 Proof carbon barrel I've got laying around. It would be closer to 24" although it would be interesting to see what performance one would get.

rfurman... thanks for the input... I wouldn't say I've chosen the 130 at this point, more like the 130 is the lead horse thus far... plus I left 8 rounds (140/143 on the table untested)... given that I feel I have a bit more testing to truly say things are dialed in... I was hoping to see similar results with the heavier 140+ bullet...

What bullet would you recommend... barrel life is an issue, but not a concern now that I believe I'm close...

I think he's was exactly 26", too. If the brass wasn't so expensive and having to buy dies I'd chamber a spare 6.5 Proof carbon barrel I've got laying around. It would be closer to 24" although it would be interesting to see what performance one would get.

That would be interesting to see...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.