6.5x284 load advice

Mcarso1

going to pickup Lapua Brass tomorrow for the new gun. Thinking about picking up hornady ELD X 143gr or Berger elite hunter 140gr. Any advice or suggestions? Would you run large rifle primers or run mag primers? Have read a bunch about guys using the hotter primers , not familiar with the process so figured I would ask ? Somewhat of a newbie.

I use mostly Retumbo in my 6.5x284's. Either Federal 210M or 215M's can be used with this powder depending on which provides the best accuracy/ES. In my 24/26" barrels the burn is complete with either, and will work fine at the colder temperatures. I generally find that the 215"s produce velocities that are 30-35FPS higher and will adjust the charge weight accordingly, typically .5-1gr to account for the difference. Using the faster burning H4831sc, which an an extremely accurate powder in my rifles, I find that the Federal 210M gives the best accuracy. Velocities run about 50FPS slower/2950FPS with this powder compared to Retumbo at 3000FPS.

Grey fox is the man when it comes to 6.5x284. He has been a great source of knowledge and help when I built my 6.5x284

I ended up going 4831sc. 51gr with the Berger 140 Hunting VLD's and 210 primers have been a very accurate load.

Greyfox, you plan to try the heavier Bergers coming out.

going to pickup Lapua Brass tomorrow for the new gun. Thinking about picking up hornady ELD X 143gr or Berger elite hunter 140gr. Any advice or suggestions? Would you run large rifle primers or run mag primers? Have read a bunch about guys using the hotter primers , not familiar with the process so figured I would ask ? Somewhat of a newbie.

Greyfox is the 6.5x284 guy to go to...

I am running Nosler brass with RL26. Mag Russian primer. Getting 140s over 3200fps, 150s to almost 3100fps...Proof Carbon 28" Barrel...Long action.

I agree, he is a wealth of knowledge and that's what I am looking for. Thanks to all who chime in and help out. Really appreciate it.

Greyfox, you plan to try the heavier Bergers coming out.

I will likely give them a try but I don't have a high degree of enthusiasm. From the initial reports, the velocities attained using the heavy bullet with the 6.5x284(2900FPS) I'm not sure how much benefit they will bring for my typical hunting range(max 1100 yards). So far the ballistic models I have played with using initial data available on velocity/BC are very close to the 140's at 3000FPS. I will be interested in their terminal performance on game at 100-1000 yards. The 140 VLD's give superb terminal performance on game over this wide distance range at 6.5x284 velocities. I think the heavies may be better suited for larger cases then the 6.5x284, and ELR applications. Just my initial impressions......I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I just did load development on mine last week with the 143 eld-x

Max coal is 3.235 in this rifle.
Shoulder is bumped .002 with FL die

143 eld-x, fed 210m, lapua brass, retumbo, started at 55 and ran into pressure at 58.5, coal for pressure testing was 3.175.

I got some decent groups with 57.5 and a coal of 3.205 but I just couldn't get the flier out of this combo, I had several 4 shot groups with 3 being sub 1/2" but one would always take it out to about 1"

I gave up.

I decided to try H3831sc

I decided to use the BR2 for this.

I started at 46 and ran into pressure at 50.0

It did not like the max loads, it shot 1.2" @100.

I ended up at 48.5 with the same seating depth that showed promise with the retumbo 3.205 and it shoots in the high 2's to low 3's. It actually shot really well from .080 off to .030 off, but the .030 off was the best. .010-.020 off was not so good.

I have not had a chance to chrono this load but don't expect it to be much over 2900 with a 24" 8 twist Bartlein barrel.

I'm not sure that I have enough room to get to the next node with either powder, so I'm happy where it's at, I don't want to shoot out my barrel trying to get another 80fps out of it. It took me about 100 rounds just to get to where I'm at, so I'm calling it good enough. This one seems to be a little finicky, I've not had this kind of trouble with the 162's and 175's in the 7mm's, but this is the first time I've worked the the 6.5 eld-x, maybe it's not as forgiving as the 7mm's, or maybe I just wasn't having a good day.

I'm just sitting here waiting for my 6.5x284 barrel to come in and drooling over these posts. Criterion 26" with a 7.5 twist. I am planning on trying some of the 140+ options listed in this thread that I have left over from load dev on my 6.5x47, as well as trying out the Hammers that I didn't get around to using in the x47. Thank you to all who have posted this info- very helpful (or would be, if I had my barrel)! :)

I shot both. Went with the eldx cuz they were cheaper both shot sub moa. 4831sc fed 210m primers and lapua brass and you are having fun

Agree with you Greyfox. I feel we going to give up too much in velocity with our 6.5x284's with the heavies. Should be a much better fit for 26 Noslers and up.

I'm patiently waiting on mine to come back from the smith.

I'm running a 26 inch 8 twist bartlein with a harrels gilled brake.

I'm using Lapua brass and will start out with 210m's, retumbo and 143 eld's. Going to load up a 10 shots at .010 off for a 300 yard ladder test very soon.

BTW-I agree with the above, I don't think the 284 is the best suited for the 155 berger. What you gain in BC will be lost at the muzzle making it a wash. Really best for the magnums and should be a serious thought for those building a super mag like the 26 Nosler or 65-300 wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.