6.5x284 from 284win

Naka16

Hello all, just picked up a 6.5x284 Savage trophy hunter xp at a price I couldn't pass up. I purchased a Redding die set and bullets already. I do have some Winchester .284 brass that I was thinking of using. Would the standard Redding full length die work ok for necking down the brass? Any help is greatly appreciated

It will work, but there's Lapua 6.5x284 brass readily available. Not quite worth the hassle of working with lower quality , improperly head stamped brass in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably end up selling the 284 brass (since I don't have a 284 win rifle), and going with the lapua or nosler 6.5x284 Brass. Didn't even think about the head stamp..

You'll be better off in the long term, I use Lapua exclusively in my 6.5x284 . I haven't used Nosler brass but many people have great things to say about it.

Have you tried/heard anything about the Hornady brass? Is the lapua brass only sold by the 100? Thanks again for all the help

I believe the Lapua brass is available in 100 per box at the minimum with larger quantities available also . Haven't tried Hornady , reviews seem to be 50/50 . I would buy 100 Lapua brass and take care of it , it will likely outlast the barrel.

Yeah I heard about it being a barrel burner. Will go with the premium brass for sure.

The cartridge is only as hard on the barrel as you are . Don't rapid fire it and get it super hot and it will last longer than many people will lead you to believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.