Making custom brass 25x284 from 6.5x284

Jumping in to follow along since I had the same question. I have a short action that I'm thinking about using for one of these. I know the long action gives a lot of room for seating bullets out further but am really thinking the short action might do what I want it to.

The 284 was designed for a SA and is before its time - short fat brass. I think the SAMMI standard for the 25-284 is 2.75 inches COAL. For hunting I think there would no problem in bullet seating and functioning.

For competition most shoot near or at the lands and some even into the lands. The real issue for bullets used in that regard is the OAL which is from the Ogive to the case base length. For my rifle and the 100 grain Sierra 2.482 OAL is 0.10 off the lands and 2.508 to touch the lands which works in my magnetize.

To touch the lands with the Bib and standard magazine the rifle becomes a single shot. I had my gunsmith install a Wyatt extended mag and cost me 50 dollars and now I have 3.0 inches of magazine length and can handle the Bib bullet.

I am not sure but some of the extremely longer bullets may not eject in a non modified magazine and may need up to 3.16 inches of magazine length.

Thanks for sharing merbeau. Cases look good from my lower level of experience. I would check neck runout and general dimensions on a spot check basis in the batch, but sounds like you have the rhythm down. Like new mex kid we just use the FL Redding type d, trim if needed, then use a bushing die. No issues in the neck. Had used the Redding size and trim die but found this step unnecessary, it seemed a bit tight.

Also building a 25-284, for the 131 gr bj's, bartlein 7.5 twist, 28". The COAL we used in the dummy round for the reamer print was 3.1095. Reamer due in any week now, basically BJ's spec reamer with one more thousandth in the neck width, not planning to neck turn.

Sounds like a great rig. Echoes like a real custom application with a special reamer. I would think it will make one heck of a long range shooter. Not sure why the 25 caliber seems to be kind of ignored and in particularly the 25-284 itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.