195gr berger in 284win?

ohiohunter

Ok, no action on the other board so lets see if I can get some in put here. I've decided to try the 195's in my 1:9 284, I'll be shooting just about 3500ft elevation and according to the calculator I should be able to stabilize.

I currently run 180's over 53gr of H4831sc, I'm thinking about knocking it down to 51gr and giving the 195's a go. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know these bullets are fresh out the gate but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

The only data I've seen was for a 7mm-270WSM wildcat. The guy recommended starting 5 grains lower and working up. I think I'd start about 3-4 grains lower and work up from there.

Aaron

Even though they may stabilize at elevations you describe this bullet is looking for a twist rate of something like 1:8.5 or higher. As I see it, you'd be trying to work up a load at a lower elevation than you'll be hunting; that's make things difficult. Furthermore, the better performance at higher elevations is theoretical and while it may ring true at some elevation will you always be assured of being precisely at 3500 ft?
If you're using the load you describe I'd guess you're putting the 180's out there at 2750fps. That should do darn well.

This is to shoot at the local f-class match, so my elevation will be constant and of no concern. I won't be heart broken if they don't shoot, I know I'm taking a chance but I'm also in no rush for a barrel swap.

Our range gets some tough wind and the 1k range gets some serious tricky turbulence. The 1k range is about 1.5hr drive so if my gun likes these 195's I might wake up in time for that shoot.

Ok, no action on the other board so lets see if I can get some in put here. I've decided to try the 195's in my 1:9 284, I'll be shooting just about 3500ft elevation and according to the calculator I should be able to stabilize.

I currently run 180's over 53gr of H4831sc, I'm thinking about knocking it down to 51gr and giving the 195's a go. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know these bullets are fresh out the gate but I'd like to hear what you guys think.
ohiohunter,
Your twist rate should be just fine at that altitude. We are working on getting some loads worked up. Please go to our website and under the INFORMATION tab go to contact us and give us your information ( cartridge bullet, powder(s) ETC.) And we can see if we can help you from "guessing" on a starting point for your load.

... Our range gets some tough wind and the 1k range gets some serious tricky turbulence. The 1k range is about 1.5hr drive so if my gun likes these 195's I might wake up in time for that shoot.

Seein' as how the highest point in Ohio that I know if is about 1,500 feet I figured you were looking for a hunting load.
From the perspective of competitive shooting, sounds like old home week. I too drive 1.5 hours to the range and the winds in our area are both strong and incredibly variable. They can range from a slight breeze to 25+ mph between the start of the match and the end, not to mention they whimsically change directions inside a shot string. I'm just a few feet above sea level so those 195s won't work for me but I hope you find a winner. Best of luck .....

for shooting out long you will need at least an 8.5 preferably an 8 twist barrel. Anything slower and they aren't going to stay stable out long IMHO.

Seein' as how the highest point in Ohio that I know if is about 1,500 feet I figured you were looking for a hunting load.
From the perspective of competitive shooting, sounds like old home week. I too drive 1.5 hours to the range and the winds in our area are both strong and incredibly variable. They can range from a slight breeze to 25+ mph between the start of the match and the end, not to mention they whimsically change directions inside a shot string. I'm just a few feet above sea level so those 195s won't work for me but I hope you find a winner. Best of luck .....

I'm in NM, if I were in Ohio I'd be shooting my bow and nothing bigger than a muzzleloader. Mid range happens at about 3600ft and 1k range is at 6500ft. I think I should be good at both places... I hope, we'll see. I just got them! slick little boogers the are.

for shooting out long you will need at least an 8.5 preferably an 8 twist barrel. Anything slower and they aren't going to stay stable out long IMHO.
Even at 6500ft?

I'm in NM, if I were in Ohio I'd be shooting my bow and nothing bigger than a muzzleloader. Mid range happens at about 3600ft and 1k range is at 6500ft. I think I should be good at both places... I hope, we'll see. I just got them! slick little boogers the are.

Even at 6500ft?

LONG is the key,
yes at 6500 feet they will shoot just fine and might stay fine out too 1000 (not sure with a 9 but should be close) but when you go past that they aren't going to stay stable IMHO.
I did the same with the .30 berger 230 grain (says 10 twist on the box) at 100 they are awesome! when you can keep them over 2700 FPS they are great out too 1000, but shoot them at 1200 and over and you can see them starting to keyhole on paper as they destabilize on the long end.

I don't plan on going past 1000.

I just shot some and my hottest load was 51.5gr H4831 w/ zero signs of pressure. My best group was at 50.5gr just under 0.25". I'm going to put a few more loads together for tomorrow see if I can push them a little faster.

Update:

Ran my loads up to 53gr h4831sc and still no signs of pressure. Looks like another node for me is about 52gr @ <0.25". I may just leave it at that, perhaps try to tighten it up a bit. This development is going on hold b/c I picked up an archery NM elk tag and the clock is ticking!

I hope to see some 195gr berger loads soon! They are super slick but when the 180's are being liquidated for half the cost it is hard to justify.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts