6.5x284 close range shot

I too have had similar experiences. My son, grandson and I have shot quite a few antelope and deer with the 6.5 cal 143 ELD-X. Its still a go to bullet for us. Bottom line is you can't expect ANY bullet that is pushing 3000 fps to perform the sam at 25 yds as it will at 250+ yds......Hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
YUP

That's why I posted the picture seems unusual for the holes to be opposite? Was wondering if because of the high velocity? The inside was mush but found no bullet fragments? Anyone else ever have this happen?
These bullets are designed to dump a great deal of energy very quickly on impact, similar to a ballistic tip. That is why they work so well on thin skinned, light to medium size game such as deer. Generally shot great expansion and tissue damage over the first 4-6" of penetration, then settle down a bit once energy dump is over. Pretty common. Would not worry about your velocity, pretty well in the very comfortable range for this bullet. I would say what you saw with this shot was normal.

That's why I posted the picture seems unusual for the holes to be opposite? Was wondering if because of the high velocity? The inside was mush but found no bullet fragments? Anyone else ever have this happen?
That is unusual, I thought maybe you were confused. In all the deer I've shot I have yet to see a large entrance and a small exit.

No problem just thought people would like to see the results from this bullet at very close range. I have shot a 5x5 at 100 yards and my Dall Sheep at 525 yards with same gun same bullet, powder velocity etc.All DRT didn't have the large entrance hole on the longer shots.

I experienced something similar on a wild boar I shot earlier this year. Bullet was a 120 gr Nosler E-Tip. 6.5 CM at a distance of 100 yards or so. Hog was quartering facing slightly to my right. Bullet blew up on entrance to right shoulder. Took 3 more bullets to anchor the 200 lb sow.

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_135545234.jpg
    PXL_20220606_135545234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
I experienced something similar on a wild boar I shot earlier this year. Bullet was a 120 gr Nosler E-Tip. 6.5 CM at a distance of 100 yards or so. Hog was quartering facing slightly to my right. Bullet blew up on entrance to right shoulder. Took 3 more bullets to anchor the 200 lb sow.
Obviously the bullet is not penetrating before expansion.

I too have seen the same effect with the 6.5mm 130 accubond from the 6.5x55, loaded to modern pressure. Wasn't a close range shot either. Two data points at 250 yards, and one at 350. Anyone skinning the carcass would have sworn the entry was the exit, but my buddy and I were together for both the kill and the skinning so we knew for sure it was the opposite.

Cheers,
Rex

I'm using a 6.5 Berger VLD hunting 130 gun 2815 ftps. I shot a 206 lb deer two weeks ago and heart and lungs were just gone turned to jelly. Plus the added benefit of a super accurate round. I won't use anything else. Hand loads in 6.5x47.

This the exact round I have used in my 6.5x47L running 2950, does exactly that too the lungs. Great combo.

I'm using a 6.5 Berger VLD hunting 130 gun 2815 ftps. I shot a 206 lb deer two weeks ago and heart and lungs were just gone turned to jelly. Plus the added benefit of a super accurate round. I won't use anything else. Hand loads in 6.5x47.
Curious....what powder are you loading with?