6.5wsm or similar for short action? Not saum

shawnb

Ive got a rem 700 short action 300wsm but ive always wanted a nice 6.5.

For building off a short mag action, ive been thinking of the 6.5wsm. Im just worried about barrel life unless i can download it like the gap saum and still drive bullets fast enough. But then loading to fit in a wyatts box will seat the bullet to far into the case. I know if im asking about downloading then i shouldnt worry, but if im wildcatting then lets make it right.

So im thinking of taking 270 wsm brass, cant get saum brass in canada very easily, and apply the same 6.5ss concept of shortening the case and "wildcating" a wsm case. Im thinking if you take off 150thou from the sizing die it would work.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone have any experience with this or a different caliber all together.

For building off a short mag action, ive been thinking of the 6.5wsm. Im just worried about barrel life unless i can download it like the gap saum and still drive bullets fast enough. But then loading to fit in a wyatts box will seat the bullet to far into the case. I know if im asking about downloading then i shouldnt worry, but if im wildcatting then lets make it right.

So im thinking of taking 270 wsm brass, cant get saum brass in canada very easily, and apply the same 6.5ss concept of shortening the case and "wildcating" a wsm case. Im thinking if you take off 150thou from the sizing die it would work.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone have any experience with this or a different caliber all together.

6.5 Remington Mag?? I loved the one I had in a SA Rem 700 BDL
Cheer's

I did look at that but im wanting a true short action magnum 6.5. 6.5 Saum not on the list unless i come across a bunch up here. Id like decent barrel life so i like the concept of low pressure loads in the saum but wanting to build off a 270wsm case.

Unless or course someone has something cool! Haha.

I did look at that but im wanting a true short action magnum 6.5. 6.5 Saum not on the list unless i come across a bunch up here. Id like decent barrel life so i like the concept of low pressure loads in the saum but wanting to build off a 270wsm case.

Unless or course someone has something cool! Haha.

Not quite sure what you mean by "true" short action Magnum.. the 6.5 Rem Mag is as true as it gets. Before it arrived'.., I can't think of another that was around back them in 6.5mm The other that was, was the .350 Rem Mag that was pretty much it in the short magnums in 1965 and 1966 It was in the 70's when I picked my Rem 700 up in 6.5mm
Good luck

I do get what you are saying. By true i mean a 140gr bullet seated far enough out to not have the bearing surface below the neck/shoulder junction and still have a coal of 2.9 to 2.95.

I do get what you are saying. By true i mean a 140gr bullet seated far enough out to not have the bearing surface below the neck/shoulder junction and still have a coal of 2.9 to 2.95.

Well in that case.. just built it on a long action or shoot as a single shot in a short action and you'll have no problems with bullets in the 140gr plus range.

Hey Shawn,

I was in the same boat as you.... Really was set on the 6.5 gap, thought about going 6.5 wsm, but the results the 6.5 rsaum guys were having with barrel life made it impossible for me to pass on.... Rifle is currently at the smith waiting to be built so I don't have any personal results yet...

I have been gathering supplies in the meantime... Scrounged 50 nosler 300rsaum brass from a buddy that shoots a 7rsaum... Then Couldn't find any rsaum brass anywhere in Manitoba... Then I found out you can form rsaum brass from wsm brass.... Started looking for wsm brass.... One box of 25 270 wsm in all of Manitoba!?!!?!!?? It's a lot more work than just sizing necks down but it works...
Was out in Alberta last week and all I could find in Edmonton was 2 boxes of 300 rsaum brass... No wsm brass anywhere...

Anyways the moral of the story is no matter which way you go rsaum or wsm you may have trouble finding any...

One plus of the rsaum is you can make it from either when u find it....

I have checked on some of the other online stores like x-reload in Quebec and grouse river in BC and they had either nosler or Norma rsaum and wsm brass Of various calibers as in stock....

I think I have enough brass on hand for myself to last a while so at least I won't be competing with you for brass... I'm also hoping to get my hands on some of the 6.5 rsaum head stamped Hornady brass that GAP has in the works but like most things awesome in the gun world, I doubt we'll see any in Canada anytime soon.

Good luck

Orch

Edit: reread your original post saw you were thinking of maybe wildcatting the wsm by pushing the shoulder back 0.150" or so... I'm pushing the wsm shoulder down something like 0.164" to get rsaum brass... If u have already considered going through the trouble of wildcatting it down 0.150" and trimming and turning the necks I would say definetly go 6.5 rsaum and u can just use 7mm rsaum bushing dies, no custom die or shaving metal off a die etc...

shawnB,
Build it on a long action as 436 said. I believe the WYATTS extended magazines only work with long actions. This way you can use the magazine for hunting with the newer longer bullets that are coming out like ours and others.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts