6.5prc Barrel Life?

Bigeclipse

I have been trying to lock down on what to expect with my new 6.5prc rifle and it's barrel life? I know its tough to know exact numbers as every barrel is different (especially with a new caliber) but what is your thoughts on the general barrel life I could expect out of this barrel? Thanks!

GA Precision quotes 3500 for a 6.5 SAUM which is very similar. I would say that would be the upper limit and is very dependent on firing cadence.

Also kind of Curious - I have 23 rounds down the pipe. Thought this was going to be primarily a hunting rifle, but it is so fun to shoot I can see me burning out a barrel in a few years....

If you shoot the thing with any regularity I would expect a .5 moa rifle to hold under .5 for around 1k rounds. If you fire the rifle one round per outing it could last thousands.

If you shoot the thing with any regularity I would expect a .5 moa rifle to hold under .5 for around 1k rounds. If you fire the rifle one round per outing it could last thousands.
This is mainly a hunting rig which would see maybe 2 range days a year. Likely no more than 40-60 rounds a year so sounds like it will last me an extremely long time.

My 7mm RM was my only big game hunting rifle for 20+ years. Saw a bunch of range time during that time as well, because for many years it was my only bolt rifle. Got it 1982 and it still shoots great.

3500 rounds to date would be conservative, but I don't let the barrel heat up at the range. I would expect no less with the 6.5PRC.

if treated properly I can see 1200-1500 of sub moa. treat it like crap, overheat it on a regular basis, use poor cleaning procedures and you can toast it in under 500. it is not how many rounds a year or shooting session it is how you treat it with those rounds that counts

The 6.5PRC is almost identical to the 6.5x284. Usually benchrest and F-class 6.5x284s get 1200-1500 rounds, sometimes a bit more. Obviously, how you treat it matters. If you are using it for less precise work, you will get more rounds out of a barrel before you start to notice a drop off. A well-maintained hunting rifle could probably get 2500-3000.

if treated properly I can see 1200-1500 of sub moa. treat it like crap, overheat it on a regular basis, use poor cleaning procedures and you can toast it in under 500. it is not how many rounds a year or shooting session it is how you treat it with those rounds that counts

This is correct but I do not know anyone who goes out and spends a day to shoot 40 rounds. I do know there are people who do it due mostly to drive times but I do not know any. To shoot well enough to take game at long distances it requires practice and that takes rounds down the barrel. Unless you are letting the barrel cool 5-10 min between shots your throat is heating up and that is expediting erosion. I am not overly hard on my hunting barrels but I can tell you none of them is going to be shooting under .5 moa for more than 1200 rounds and I would say the number is closer to 900-1000. When barrels stop shooting they often start throwing fliers. I am not going to be on a hunt with a 1k round rifle with a tag that took 8 years to draw just to squeeze the extra 100 rounds of what some would call barrel life out of it. If it is only for target shooting then you really have nothing to lose by shooting it until it is no kidding done.

This is correct but I do not know anyone who goes out and spends a day to shoot 40 rounds. I do know there are people who do it due mostly to drive times but I do not know any. To shoot well enough to take game at long distances it requires practice and that takes rounds down the barrel. Unless you are letting the barrel cool 5-10 min between shots your throat is heating up and that is expediting erosion. I am not overly hard on my hunting barrels but I can tell you none of them is going to be shooting under .5 moa for more than 1200 rounds and I would say the number is closer to 900-1000. When barrels stop shooting they often start throwing fliers. I am not going to be on a hunt with a 1k round rifle with a tag that took 8 years to draw just to squeeze the extra 100 rounds of what some would call barrel life out of it. If it is only for target shooting then you really have nothing to lose by shooting it until it is no kidding done.
I think mileage will very but 1200+ rounds with a 6.5 PRC loaded with H-1000 and 156s will definitely out last a 30 Nosler with N570 and 215s. the average shooter should be pretty safe at 1200 rounds considering the 6.5-284 is also in the same round counts.

I think mileage will very but 1200+ rounds with a 6.5 PRC loaded with H-1000 and 156s will definitely out last a 30 Nosler with N570 and 215s. the average shooter should be pretty safe at 1200 rounds considering the 6.5-284 is also in the same round counts.
N570 eats throats. It is awesome but a throat eater for sure. I am running n565 in my prc and I would guess it will be slightly less than H1000 for life.

Recent Posts