6.5mm 117gr Sledge hammer starting point and load develpoment

TXAoudadKlr

Looking for a starting point with the 117gr Sledge Hammer out of a 6.5 creedmoor.

I'll be setting this up for a GAP-10 with a 21" 1-8" barrel.

Looking at H-4350 and RL-17. I'm hoping to be near 3000FPS with it.

You can get there using the Re-17 but H-4350 should leave you short.

Mine is 21" and I started at 44.5 grains of Re-17 and moved up. My OAL is 2.800" with this bullet.

Usually the Federal 210s. I have a 'secret recipe' using a few of my stash of Russian primers but those are few and far between as my supply is dwindling.

No one said you couldn't use 215s. I don't after testing the components I have on hand. Your mileage may vary. Pick the one you like and run with it!:D

Received them Saturday. 2.720" OAL is the lands. Going to start at 2.710" which has the base right at the shoulder and comfortably under mag length.

Last edited:
So I started load development with the 117gr SH, VVN550 and Fed215's

From 37-39.5 grains fell within .5moa which I thought was pretty wild as 1-4 we're pushing .25"

After that it opened up with 40-43gr. Not that it it was really all that significant most of it grouped within an inch. I've never seen this before

After that it opened up with 40-43gr. Not that it it was really all that significant most of it grouped within an inch. I've never seen this before

The ins and outs of load development, when you reach a node (small groups) then leave that node (groups get larger).

There are several nodes for the 6.5 Creedmoor with Re-17 so you should be able to make it up to about 45.0-45.5, at least in my rifle with your parameters. I have a slightly longer leade.

Re-16 should get you to the same level using about one grain less powder. VVN-550 has always been one of my favorite powders for cases such as the Creedmoor. It is a double base powder so being high energy, it burns hotter than other powders so control your rate of fire. Another potential is Hybrid 100V which is a cooler burning powder for this case. Much lower burn rate and a smoother pressure curve. You lose a little velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.