6.5 x 284 with Lapua 155 gr. load info?

rseaman

I have some Lapua 155 gr. Mega bullets wondering if anyone has any experience shooting these in there 6.5 x 284 Winchester and what powder would be recommended are even if it would be something to try. I know it seems a little on the heavy side for most. I really like Lapua products and would like to work up some loads for my 6.5, this would be for hunting and shots will be 3 to 600 yds.
I am using berger 140's in front of 51gr of 4831sc with good results. I was thinking of more energy with the 155's. Any info would be greatly appriciated

thanks rseaman

I have some Lapua 155 gr. Mega bullets wondering if anyone has any experience shooting these in there 6.5 x 284 Winchester and what powder would be recommended are even if it would be something to try. I know it seems a little on the heavy side for most. I really like Lapua products and would like to work up some loads for my 6.5, this would be for hunting and shots will be 3 to 600 yds.
I am using berger 140's in front of 51gr of 4831sc with good results. I was thinking of more energy with the 155's. Any info would be greatly appriciated

thanks rseaman

The Bergers have a higher BC and will maintain higher energy downrange compared to the 155gr Lapuas. Another thing to consider is that the Lapua Mega is designed for short range work in the woods and are of a heavily constructed design, these style of bullets usually do not expand too well at extended ranges. They would be great for shots under 200 yards, but beyond that I would go with the Bergers.

thanks rseaman

An effective alternative to getting more velocity/energy would be to switch your powder to a slower burner like Retumbo or R26, potentially getting an additional 200FPS over your current load using the same 140 Berger. Using these powders, it's also possible that you wouldn't trade off, or could even improve barrel life using these slower powders, even at the increased velocity. The concern with the 155gr Lapua bullet would be the stability if you have a 1:8 twist, and the lower BC. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.