6.5 with 1:8 twist for light bullets?

engineer40

I'm finally jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon. I just ordered a 6.5-284 barrel with a 1:8 twist that will primarily be used for longer range shooting using heavier bullets.

I'm curious if you guys have had any luck with the 1:8 twist shooting the lighter bullets also? (Just in case I wanted to try this rifle against some varmints also).

Thanks!

100gr Hornady Amax and 107gr Sierra Match bullets have been very accurate in my 1-8 Twist 6.5x55.

I have had no problem running 100 gr Sierra HP at 3100 fps from my 7 1/2" twist 96 Swede Mauser. It red mist groundhogs.

As long as the jackets are holding up, extra twist is not usually a problem unless you are a benchrest shooter. Too much velocity with too much twist can vaporize some bullets but you should not have that problem with a 6.5/284 unless you were trying to shoot extremely light bullets at very high velocity. The diameter of the lands can also be a factor. i.e. 3 groovers tend to be harder on borderline jackets.......Rich

As long as the jackets are holding up, extra twist is not usually a problem unless you are a benchrest shooter. Too much velocity with too much twist can vaporize some bullets but you should not have that problem with a 6.5/284 unless you were trying to shoot extremely light bullets at very high velocity. The diameter of the lands can also be a factor. i.e. 3 groovers tend to be harder on borderline jackets.......Rich

Thanks Rich!

I sincerely almost choose your 6.5 Sherman instead of the 6.5-284. It just felt like more of a project for the reamer and reloading components and the fireforming. This is my first custom barrel so the fewer things to go wrong the better. But it's not off the table for a future build!

Your 6.5 Sherman really does seem like a great cartridge. I could only imagine how popular it would be and how fast it would get adopted if someone like Winchester came out with the specs and marketed it as a "New 6.5 light magnum! No belted case! Standard length action! Great barrel life!"

Thanks Rich!

I sincerely almost choose your 6.5 Sherman instead of the 6.5-284. It just felt like more of a project for the reamer and reloading components and the fireforming. This is my first custom barrel so the fewer things to go wrong the better. But it's not off the table for a future build!

Your 6.5 Sherman really does seem like a great cartridge. I could only imagine how popular it would be and how fast it would get adopted if someone like Winchester came out with the specs and marketed it as a "New 6.5 light magnum! No belted case! Standard length action! Great barrel life!"

I do have Norma brass now:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.