6.5 SS Long Range Hunter Project

nfoley

Finished my 6.5 Sherman Short Mag a couple weeks ago (with much help from Rich Sherman) and Rich asked me to post a little info here on the outcome.

First, for those that do not know Rich Sherman (elkaholic) he obviously developed the round, and without his help I do not think I would have embarked on this project. I had previously wanted to build a 6.5 SAUM (went so far as to buying dies) and abandoned the idea because the case prep intimidated me.

A good friend of mine bought a 6.5 Sherman and told me about Rich, and after a few phone calls with Rich I decided to do the 6.5 SS. I have moderate experience with reloading, but had none with fire forming or neck turning.

The rifle was built by Mark Chanlynn of Rocky Mountain Rifle Works. The build was done on a Bighorn Action, Proof Research barrel (24" 8 twist), and Manners EH1 stock. Finished rifle weight without a scope was right at 7.25 lb - perfect for the long range hunter I had in mind. I mounted a Kahles k624i with MSR reticle - a bit heavy at 34 oz but it has all the features I wanted.

After reading Rich's sheet he supplied me on case forming and watching the O'Neill video on forming the case I was ready to begin. After many calls to Rich (he is extremely helpful and patient!) I formed my cases from Norma 300 SAUM. For those that have not done this type of work let me just say with the guidance from Rich and the video from O'Neill it is really not bad, and actually quite enjoyable. Reamer was rented directly from Rich, and Whidden dies were purchased from him as well.

My first rounds fired after fire forming with the cream of wheat method all grouped 1/2 MOA or better out to 600 yards. I did absolutely no load development as I was in a bit of a hurry to get this ready for an Arizona Coues deer hunt. The only load I have put through the rifle has been 58g RL 26 with 140 berger VLD seated to about 2.810 (turns out it is about 0.030" jump). As stated this has been consistently sub 1/2 moa out to 600 yards, and at 3200 fps out of a 24" bbl I was not sure I needed to do anything else.

I took the rifle to Arizona last week and shot a Coues whitetail at 1097 yards. I am extremely happy with both the rifle and the round. I don't think I could ask for anything more from a hunting rifle I intend to hunt everything up to elk size game. Shooting this rifle suppressed (I have only shot it suppressed) the recoil is extremely mild.

Here are some pics:

Top pic is 100, bottom is 600. This was typical of groups the rifle shot on different trips to the range.

I purchased some ready to fire form brass from Rich just to try out, and fire forming with 140 amax and 53g H4831 gave the below 5 shot group. Velocity was right at 2870. Needless to say Rich's brass is excellent!

Below is the rifle with the deer I shot at 1097 yards. First pic was taken by my daughter right before the shot. No wind at all, and I had a perfect place to shoot from! My buddy Rusty shot his deer the same morning with his 6.5 Sherman at 837 yards (sorry I don't have a pic of his).

I would again like to thank Rusty for informing me about this caliber, and Rich Sherman for all his help! I certainly would not have done this without having someone to bug on the phone with all my questions about case forming and neck turning. And if you have not seen James O'Neill's video it is excellent, and was a huge help.
For those of you that have been thinking about building a 6.5 SS I encourage you to take the plunge. Again the case prep is not that difficult (and I am not an expert reloader), and Rich now has brass he will sell you that will be more than adequate!

Man Nils, what are you going to do for an encore! 1100 yards for first blood is going to be a little tough to beat.Congrats on the buck and a pretty impressive shot.
That is a REALLY nice looking rifle. I think my next build is going to be something light and I like some of your components. The only flaw that I see is the bolt seems to be sticking out of the wrong side of the action:D
Thanks for all the kind words, but it was my pleasure working with you. It really is enjoyable for me to be able to help in some way to see all these various builds take shape and then see the results in the field. On top of that, I have had the privilege to chat with some really nice guys who love the sport as much as I do.
You have had some pretty impressive results so far with very little load development. Have you tried that same load with the bullets closer to lands? Sometimes you can tighten the vertical up just by doing that; not that there is anything wrong with what you have doing right now.
Keep in touch and let me know if there is another coues deer down there that needs shooting!:D.........Rich

Last edited:
Nice! You are setting the bar high! Great Deer, Great Gun, Great Cartridge, Great Shot, and Great Guy To Work With!

How do you like that barrel?

Now that I have some more time to play with it I will certainly play with seating depth Rich. I have plenty of room in my AICS mags to load them out farther.

As far as the barrel I really like it a lot! My gunsmith was a little leary when I gave him the barrel to use (he had a bad experience with a carbon wrapped barrel years ago) but ended up really liking it. For me it was a simple matter of wanting a light weight barrel that had enough meat on the end to thread for suppressor.

The 6.5 SS is really an awesome cartridge. I had plans to do a 7 mag but this round is flatter and has better wind fighting ability, and only gives up about 40 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards compared with a 7 mag shooting 168 bergers at 2950 fps (which is what I had in mind for my 7 mag build). And the ability to easily call your shots with the minimal recoil makes the decision very easy in my mind.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I can't imagine how pleasant it is to shoot with the that suppressor!

Now that I have some more time to play with it I will certainly play with seating depth Rich. I have plenty of room in my AICS mags to load them out farther.

As far as the barrel I really like it a lot! My gunsmith was a little leary when I gave him the barrel to use (he had a bad experience with a carbon wrapped barrel years ago) but ended up really liking it. For me it was a simple matter of wanting a light weight barrel that had enough meat on the end to thread for suppressor.

The 6.5 SS is really an awesome cartridge. I had plans to do a 7 mag but this round is flatter and has better wind fighting ability, and only gives up about 40 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards compared with a 7 mag shooting 168 bergers at 2950 fps (which is what I had in mind for my 7 mag build). And the ability to easily call your shots with the minimal recoil makes the decision very easy in my mind.

You may have sold a few more barrels Nils! For you guys who might want a 7SS, I am shooting the (180) bergers at 2960' and have topped out at 3070'. Food for thought:D.......Rich'

I was on this hunt with Nils and we really wanted to see what these cartridges would do at long range. I was using my 6.5 Sherman shooting a 140 Berger VLD-H at 3185 fps and Nils' 6.5 SS is shooting the same bullet at 3200. We figured a coues whitetail at about 85 pounds on the hoof would be a good test. On the first day my brother-in-law, Mike, shot one using my gun at 425 yds and the bullet went through the buck breaking the offside shoulder. The next day Nils was hunting a few miles away from me. I found this buck and was able to get back in the scope after the shot to see the buck fall. 837 yds with one shot and he dropped in his tracks. I was still getting high-fives from Mike and my son, Noah, when my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was a text telling me that Nils had just made an 1100 yd shot on his buck! He always was an over achiever. Anyway, all three bucks dropped in their tracks with one shot so the bullet performed well. I'm currently in the process of doing a 6.5 SS build on Defiance's new Deviant Ultralight action using a 22" Proof carbon wrapped barrel in a McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill. It should be a good lightweight hunting rig. (And the bolt will be on the correct side.:D) Now that Rich has the brass available to purchase there is no need to do all of that brass prep work.

Rusty

I was on this hunt with Nils and we really wanted to see what these cartridges would do at long range. I was using my 6.5 Sherman shooting a 140 Berger VLD-H at 3185 fps and Nils' 6.5 SS is shooting the same bullet at 3200. We figured a coues whitetail at about 85 pounds on the hoof would be a good test. On the first day my brother-in-law, Mike, shot one using my gun at 425 yds and the bullet went through the buck breaking the offside shoulder. The next day Nils was hunting a few miles away from me. I found this buck and was able to get back in the scope after the shot to see the buck fall. 837 yds with one shot and he dropped in his tracks. I was still getting high-fives from Mike and my son, Noah, when my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was a text telling me that Nils had just made an 1100 yd shot on his buck! He always was an over achiever. Anyway, all three bucks dropped in their tracks with one shot so the bullet performed well. I'm currently in the process of doing a 6.5 SS build on Defiance's new Deviant Ultralight action using a 22" Proof carbon wrapped barrel in a McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill. It should be a good lightweight hunting rig. (And the bolt will be on the correct side.:D) Now that Rich has the brass available to purchase there is no need to do all of that brass prep work.

Rusty

You guys have really got my motor reved on the lightweight. I have been wanting one anyway and I really like the look of Nils' rifle. I will probably build it on a Titanium action though and maybe add a Ti brake as well.
I may sell my 6.5 SS that I just re barreled with a 3b Bartlein if anyone is interested. It is on a Rem 700 SA trued and has a manners T3 stock with an AICS mag box. It has been cerakoted and is a great shooter but I will have to sell something to build the lightweight. I could include a set of new Whidden dies and new brass as a pkg. deal if someone wanted it.........Rich
Congrats on your buck Rusty! I will be watching your new build closely!

Dang you guys need to stop the posting on these 6.5ss and 7ss. I thought I had my new lightweight build planned until i started reading up on these. I think my model 7 mag bolt face action here is screaming to build off of now! Glad to hear on the Proof barrel too! I've been reading up on them every chance i get. Great looking rifle and one heck of a shot! Good looking deer too! Would love to chase those coues deer sometime!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.