6.5 SAUM Help

Limestone

I am very interested in building a 6.5 SAUM and have a few questions. I have robbed alot of info from these forums but this is my first post. Usually i can find answers to my questions but these have me stumped.

1. Is there a difference between the GAP 6.5 SAUM 4s and a standard 6.5 SAUM?
2. What is the 4s designation mean in GAP's version.
3. I see GAP produces limited runs of brass, any other manufactures on the horizon?
3. What would be the negatives to building one on a long action? Only reason i ask is i have rem long action going unused. Would save me some $.
4. It seems this cartridge is gaining in popularity. It is quite impresive. What are your thoughts.

thank you for your time.

I am very interested in building a 6.5 SAUM and have a few questions. I have robbed alot of info from these forums but this is my first post. Usually i can find answers to my questions but these have me stumped.

3. I see GAP produces limited runs of brass, any other manufactures on the horizon?
3. What would be the negatives to building one on a long action? Only reason i ask is i have rem long action going unused. Would save me some $.
4. It seems this cartridge is gaining in popularity. It is quite impresive. What are your thoughts.

thank you for your time.

No difference that I know of.
"Super Secret Squirrel Sh!t" seriously that what 4s means.
No idea.
No idea.
It's an awesome cal.
Join GAPs Facebook group for the best info on the Cal.

We build all our cartridges on LONG actions including the 6.5x284 and 6.5 GAP (SAUM). We get max usable case capacity this way.

GAP has lots more brass coming soon. They'll keep up with the demand in the future now that they have a good idea what that is.

6.5GAP-LRRpage.jpg

1. As far as I understand There are 4 different versions of the GAP reamers, original design was 0.120" free bore and had the option of "turn" and "no-turn" neck diameters, then they updated to 0.081" freebore with "turn" or "no-turn" necks, and I believe this is if you were necking down from 7mm saum brass. If you started with 300saum brass you would have to turn the necks with both the turn and no-turn reamed chambers.
I have a Manson designed reamer it has 0.100" freebore and neck diameter of 0.300" and I have lots of room in the neck that I shouldn't need to neck turn my 300 rsaum brass...

2. 4s---> what bill said

3. Built mine on a long action savage and so far it has worked fine... Running AI 338 lapua mags and didn't have to do any tweaks or anything to it although I have read some others have had to modify the feed lips a bit.

4. So far love mine! Only had it 3 weeks and I have close to 300rds down the pipe and its shooting awesome! Running 140 hybrids and 143 ELD-x's at 3160fps and have plenty of room to spare, had it up to 3250 with no pressure signs but backed it back down to try and preserve barrel life...

GAP has placed another large order for brass, which I hear may be available in April. As mentioned above, you should join the GAP 4s facebook page for all the latest info. Although you certainly can build on a long action, most don't, as there is no benefit of doing so.......but disadvantages are very minimal, that being ~8 ounces heavier. With the new extended boxes being manufactured by the likes of PTG, there are no longer seating depth issues with the short action, especially if using the .081" free bore. The new extended boxes allow for OAL of 3.10" which is more than adequate

thank you for your time.

1. Yes, see orch's post
2. ? does it matter ? :)
3. I'm building one on a Savage long action and am using the WSM mag parts. I've done some other things to it but it should be slick. If I was starting from scratch, I would stick with a short action and modify the mag components to change the feed angles and lengths.
4. My thoughts are your thoughts. Can't wait to get it done and shoot it next to my friends .270 WSM.

GAP has placed another large order for brass, which I hear may be available in April. As mentioned above, you should join the GAP 4s facebook page for all the latest info. Although you certainly can build on a long action, most don't, as there is no benefit of doing so.......but disadvantages are very minimal, that being ~8 ounces heavier. With the new extended boxes being manufactured by the likes of PTG, there are no longer seating depth issues with the short action, especially if using the .081" free bore. The new extended boxes allow for OAL of 3.10" which is more than adequate

I have the .120 freebore and a PTG BDL box, I haven't found a bullet I could run long enough to run out of mag space with this freebore. You could probably throat longer for a barnes or 143 ELD to where you run out of space though as the bearing surface on these sits below the neck/shoulder junction loaded to my lands.

Building one off a long action is doable. Is your long action a magnum bolt face? If not I'd probably sell it and start over with a wsm short action.
Use the GAP reamer and .081 freebore is most popular when using a Rem short action.
Very impressed with the 6.5GAP. I'm currently waiting for my barrel and bolt to come back from fluting so I can continue load development. Relatively easy recoil and accurate! You will love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.