6.5 PRC

Depending on bullet weight, the Hornady data expands the list to include some easier to find powders such as IMR4831. It's not overly temper stable, but it's usually easier to find than H1000 or RL-26. Data is $1 or $2 on their app.

If you have one of the faster powders my recommendation would be to drop down to a 120/127g copper solid using a powder you have and worry about powder for the 156 for next year. Or you can run IMR4831/H4831 with the Hornady 153 a-tip data, it will just pressure out sooner. Seems bullets are much easier to find than magnum powders these days.

Hodgdon H1000 works beautifully for me. IMR7828ssc is a decent back-up.

Berger 140 VLD's, Berger 140 Hybrids and Lapua 139 Scenars are all good choices for bullets.

The Hornady brass works well, assuming competent preparation. I had a lot of trouble with ADG brass with hard bolt lift. Upon consultation with them, they confirmed that they had seen some problems with their 6.5 PRC brass. That was two years ago, so they may have successfully addressed the situation since. They're an excellent company, and I was impressed that they owned up to
the problem.

Federal 210m primers tested out to be the best for me
I am going through the issue with ADG brass. ADG brass is heavier than most and the SAMMI spec is so tight between the brass and the chamber. After a few firings, the bolt handle starts to get a heavy lift with a click. The standard die is not able to resize the base of the brass quite enough. This also takes place in other short magnums. Whidden is sending me one of their dies because they size the base a tad smaller. If this doesn't correct the problem they will give me a full refund and make me a custom die.

Hi everybody, new to the forum. My kids bought me a Browning X bolt long range hunter in the 6.5 PRC. I put a Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25x56 on it. Just got back into reloading so I have the RCBS dies, Hornady brass, Federal 210 LR primers, Berger 156 gn EOL's bullets but can't find any powders. First, any recommendations as to where I can buy any powders and 2nd, looking for any and all advice on loads for that bullet, thanks so much in advance!
I see you just joined the forum welcome and greetings from north texas glad to have you on board this is an awesome forum you'll love it

Hi everybody, new to the forum. My kids bought me a Browning X bolt long range hunter in the 6.5 PRC. I put a Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25x56 on it. Just got back into reloading so I have the RCBS dies, Hornady brass, Federal 210 LR primers, Berger 156 gn EOL's bullets but can't find any powders. First, any recommendations as to where I can buy any powders and 2nd, looking for any and all advice on loads for that bullet, thanks so much in advance!
I shoot a X bolt and I also use the 156 elites.
RL26 , ADG brass , fed 210 m . Was super easy to find load. Seat them so they just fit in the mag and they should shoot. Im getting 2950 FPS . I've pushed them to 3000 but the gun wasn't happy pushing them to 3000fps.

I see you just joined the forum welcome and greetings from north texas glad to have you on board this is an awesome forum you'll love it
Thank you! I haven't reloaded in years and now am back in it and loving it but jeez! There's so much more to it now with all of the powders and burning rates, etc.

Update on Peterson 6.5 PRC Brass. It will be available in a few days from Grafs and Sons. I spoke with Peterson yesterday late afternoon and it's in being shipped to Grafs this week. I was able to order it yesterday online and they won't charge me until it ships. You can order bulk of 500 or in a cased box of 50. This is there first run so I only ordered 100 pieces to test. Just under $80 per 50 and only 9.95 shipping per order. Peterson also now shows 300 PRC but it has not shipped yet. Glad to see another quality maker of this brass. Should help relieve some of the pain some experienced getting components. Good shooting gents. Joe

Thank you! I haven't reloaded in years and now am back in it and loving it but jeez! There's so much more to it now with all of the powders and burning rates, etc.
I started reloading in the mid 80's, then was essentially out of it until about 2013. I am amazed by what little I knew then, and got away with. It's scary to look back at my old records now.
All of the new knowledge and techniques (gathered mostly on this forum) have been a lot of fun.

Recent Posts